Search Unity

How do I manually send data and host server files for a 2d "board" game

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by faresgheyath, Nov 16, 2022.

1. faresgheyath

faresgheyath

In summary, I have a board game where you move lots of units (not turned based), and I want to make this game online. I have made online games before using python and hisock, and the way I did that was attaching a client file in the game executable and hosting a server file in digital ocean (since I already pay for digital ocean to host my website) and that worked. But now I've moved to unity and I want to do the same setup (since its easier and I don't have to pay for any more services).

So my question is, how do I setup a system where a server file would be hosted, and I can send specific data from clients to servers and vice versa. I've looked at commercial options, and its all either: not exactly what I need, or a paid service. and even if a commercial option doesn't have either of those issues, I'm still comfortable with this manual server-client connection.

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

You provide some webserver that supports making requests and sends back requested data using the WebRequest API. There's more options but what makes best sense depends a lot on your use case.

Sure you do. You want that game available online? You have to pay for server hosting. If you don't want to host a server but allow players to host sessions for others over the Internet, it will require Relay. Paid service. You can implement your own relay solution but it still requires a public server. You want players to find other players and a match? You have to pay for Matchmaking and Lobby or implement your own solutions to these.

3. faresgheyath

faresgheyath

Well I think I provided my use case, is webrequest api the best for my use? If you want more clarification about the game just ask me what you want to know about it

I don't know how much you read from my question but I literally said I pay for my hosting. I don't want to pay for other services since I already pay for digital ocean to host other projects, and I can just host my game servers there.