Search Unity

Resolved How do I make touch to behave similarly to mouse in my ClickToDrag acript?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by farazk86, Jun 14, 2020.

1. farazk86

farazk86

Hi,

I have a script that controls the rotation of a plane. Click to drag and the drag decides the rotation. Keeping it level is the target of this script so as the ball does not fall off. I have written below script for this to work:

Code (CSharp):
    1.  public float rotSpeed = 20;
    2.     float zDeg;
    3.     float xDeg;
    4.     Quaternion fromRotation;
    5.     Quaternion toRotation;
    7.     void Start()
    8.     {
    10.     }
    12.     void Update()
    13.     {
    14.         if (Input.GetMouseButton(0))
    15.         {
    16.             zDeg += Input.GetAxis("Mouse X") * rotSpeed;        // I had to add Mouse X to the input manager for this to work, use mouse movement only and remove gravity etc and other settings
    17.             xDeg -= Input.GetAxis("Mouse Y") * rotSpeed;
    19.             zDeg = Mathf.Clamp(zDeg, -40f, 40f);
    20.             xDeg = Mathf.Clamp(xDeg, -40f, 40f);
    22.             fromRotation = transform.rotation;
    23.             toRotation = Quaternion.Euler(xDeg, 0, zDeg);       // no wwanting to rotate the table around y-axis, so setting 0
    24.             transform.rotation = Quaternion.Lerp(fromRotation, toRotation, Time.deltaTime * 5.0f);
    25.         }
    27.     }
    It works great on mouse and is easy to control as well. But when I built for mobile the behavior is very different.

At times, when I touch the screen the plane will jump to an extreme starting position causing the ball on it to fall off. Looks like depending on where I touch the plane will take that as its starting position. Can I ensure that does not happen?

Thanks

2. Yoreki

Yoreki

Do you use this for mobile, or do you actually replace mouse inputs with touch inputs? I would recommend actually using the provided Touch interface instead of GetAxis(Mouse). Then you have access to all finger coordinates and can determine a delta between the current and last position to get your zDeg and xDeg.

farazk86 likes this.
  3. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

4. farazk86

farazk86

Thank you for letting me know about mouse not same as touch

I simply re-wrote my above script with touch to make it work as expected on mobile

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Input.touchCount == 1)
    2.         {
    3.             Touch touch = Input.GetTouch(0);
    4.             if (touch.phase == TouchPhase.Moved)
    5.             {
    6.                 zDeg += touch.deltaPosition.x * rotSpeed;
    7.                 xDeg -= touch.deltaPosition.y * rotSpeed;
    9.                 zDeg = Mathf.Clamp(zDeg, -40f, 40f);
    10.                 xDeg = Mathf.Clamp(xDeg, -40f, 40f);
    12.                 fromRotation = transform.rotation;
    13.                 toRotation = Quaternion.Euler(xDeg, 0, zDeg);       // no wwanting to rotate the table around y-axis, so setting 0
    14.                 transform.rotation = Quaternion.Lerp(fromRotation, toRotation, Time.deltaTime * 5.0f);
    15.             }
    16.         }