Search Unity

How do I make several assets work when imported together?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ChaosRobPro, Dec 4, 2018.

1. ChaosRobPro

ChaosRobPro

Hey all.

Unity 2018.2.1

So, I've been using unity since 2012, recently I've been collecting a lot of powerful assets and I'm excited to be able to use them, last night I took advantage of some unity asset store deals and got a few new tools to amp up my project.

When I imported the assets into the same scene together, however, I get some errors from the unity console.

I have all but one or two of Vetasoft's plugins (Shadero. Camera Filters, ect) living in the same scene together with several other plugins.

UFPS2, Rewired, Ngui, Simple Save, Odin, Final IK, Puppet Master, and just a ton of other assets.

Last night when trying to import several of these assets I would get errors talking about how a reference "Doesn't exist in the current context" or that "Am I missing an assembly reference?".

When I get an error like these in a scene, sometimes I can clear the error by reimporting the asset, or reimporting standard assets. Or straight up deleting the file starting the error.

A problem is that when I do that, often unity has to think about it and then comes back with more, similar compiler errors.

Right now I just started a fresh scene and imported all of the assets I think I'll need for my current project, but I want them to live in harmony and I'm not sure how to make that happen.

Right now I have about 15 errors from Shadero all saying something similar to "error CS0103: The name `HorizontalSlider' does not exist in the current context". This is a fresh scene with nothing more added to it than the imported assets. Nothing custom at all.

Shadero isn't the problem, it's working fine in other scenes. If it wasn't Shadero throwing up this error, I'm sure it would be UFPS2 or some other asset.

Now, I know I could delete Shadero and open Shadero into its own scene, create the shaders I need there and export them into my main scene. That would probably work. But I don't want to need to do that just to not get these errors. More importantly I feel like I'm lacking the skill to rid myself of this error and any others like it because I just don't understand what to do.

Can someone explain to me what may have caused this error? Or how to identify this kind of error before it occurs? Or help me get to the root of understanding how to make assets live together harmoniously???

I appreciate your time :D

2. No we can't solve this for you because we don't have some or in fact most of these assets.
    Instead I will tell you how to proceed:

Go back the version before you imported anything in your project. If this is a new project, just dump it and start from scratch. If it's an ongoing one, delete all of the new assets and/or switch back to the version which does not contain them from your version control software.

Then start to include them one by one. Build your project and test it after every asset and fix any error arises. If you can't ask the publisher of the asset which tells you that something wrong. Sometimes assets don't work together well, so you may have problems which you can't fix only if you replace the asset or you modify one or more of your assets. Maybe you just need to write interface between them, it depends.

So when you imported all of your assets one by one, you will have to have a working project.
    BTW, I never import an entire asset in my production project, I always import them in an empty project and cut out the pieces I need, export them in .unitypackage and import those in my project. It's better for the version control as well.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  3. ChaosRobPro

ChaosRobPro

Solid Advice, ill try that tonight!