Search Unity

How do i make a fighting game in unity3d

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by IKilledKenny_2, Oct 13, 2013.

1. IKilledKenny_2

IKilledKenny_2

Hello i have question and its about how to make a fighting game in unity3d.I want it to be something similar to naruto ultimate ninja storm 3 or those naruto games that they make for the wii.If anyone knows..mind telling me what i should start first and some tips would be nice aswell.

2. Meltdown

Meltdown

Spend a few weeks doing a variety of tutorials. The more familiar you become with Unity and how to make games, the more you'll understand what is required to make a fighting game.

After doing the tutorials first, I wouldn't make a fighting game first though. Do something simple like Pong and then Pac Man. Complete them from start to end, this is very important, as those who start projects then never finish, are never destined to succeed.

Once you've done all that, you'll have a very good idea of what is required for your fighting game.

3. IKilledKenny_2

IKilledKenny_2

Do i also need to learn blender like where does the characters come from?

4. Meltdown

Meltdown

Yes a 3D program like Blender will be needed to create and animate the 3D models.
    You will then import those into Unity and script them to do what you want when the user presses buttons.

Do lots of tutorials, things will start to make sense.

5. minionnz

minionnz

Your question is too broad - break it down into steps. 1 - How do I import a character into the game? 2 - How do I make the character move when I press XYZ? 3 - How do I make the character detect when he has been hit? etc

You'll find it a lot easier to find answers to those questions. And expect to spend at least a couple of years building this game. Not trying to discourage you, but you'll do better to focus on small projects until you know the answers yourself.

6. IKilledKenny_2

IKilledKenny_2

Oh your not discouraging me at all...i have been making video games since i was eleven years old so i know it takes years to make.infact i've been making a fighting game since i was 15 and im 19 years old now and still cant get that done...and im aware that the game im trying to make using unity is going to take 6-7 years to make because i plan of selling it in the future and i want it to come out fabulous.Well first i want to know after when i made a character from using blender how do i import it to unity3d

7. jonkuze

jonkuze

although I have never done it myself from blender to unity, but i'm pretty sure you want to stick with exporting from Blender using FBX format, both the Character Model and Animations should work fine I think.

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

You're asking us to 'tutorial' you. There are millions of blender and Unity tutorials on the internet. Google them.

9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Heh... I don't think I have ever seen tutorial used as a verb. It works.

jhocking likes this.
  10. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Yup lots and lots of tutorials like they all said. And make a goal to finish it in a year or less. And don't make it alone especially if its something as big as Naruto UNS, it takes a team to do that and I don't advise doing something like that alone. Unless you're gonna pay someone to do the models and animation and textures, it all takes a lot of time especially if you're new to it.

And yes you export from Blender to Unity by going to File >> Export >> as .fbx, and then you set the export settings. Usually the Blender scale is too small so you increase that, and Blender and Unity have different axis system so that's another thing to consider when exporting. I think there's a tutorial for exactly that on either Blender Cookie or Unity Cookie I'm not sure.

If you're just starting out with Unity best to do is the "Getting Started" series on Unity Cookie, and then do some small game and finish that in a month. Trust me you'll learn a lot just from your first game and you'll know how to make a second one better and more efficient and less messier. The Mine Lander series on Unity Cookie is good to start with after the getting started series. Don't start with the tower defense game first tho, it'll be confusing, at least it was to me. :)

11. IKilledKenny_2

IKilledKenny_2

I highly doubt that im going to finish the fighting game in less then a year because im trying to make the game have a story like naruto ultimate ninja storm 3 and i want the gameplay to be something like naruto clash of ninja revolution 3,Therefore i want it like a little free roam and i also want it to be 4 player.But yea i have friends that are drawing their characters and giving me the ideas for the game and i need to learn how to use the pictures they gave me so i can use blender and trace over the pictures to make it easier to model and i will look at the Getting Started series on unity cookie.So i thank you.

12. Mistermind

Mistermind

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  13. Kinos141

Kinos141

I agree with the above comments. I have to say the hardest part is learning how to take qcf-like inputs. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/2145-Input-settings.

Basically, you need to have a timed array that takes in input, and match it to the correct input string. It's timed so when it reaches zero, it empties out.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  14. InvictusSS

InvictusSS

I ask my salf one monts ago - Can I made it by my own. And I made it.
    1 Ferst of all I make enemyes ragdoll (Why I make it? becose: when player make wright combo(similar as MortalKombat) enemy will falled down in knockOut)
    2 then I make them kinematic
    3 also setuped animator
    4 I create skript that have 3 public function
    - OnAnimationStart
    - OnAnimationHit
    - OnAnimationExit
    5 setup all fighting animation in animation vindow such as hit or punch vhere animation must ineract enemy.
    and each enemy has colliders and each of then has script that detect collision (and body part)
    so this wery simple and dont requre eny fighting framevork that cost much money.
    result you can see here : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=my.NerdSoftStudio.InvictusStreetOfRageFree
    I make this game by my own so dont expect Mortal Kombat there :)
    Sorry for my English.

15. fahimalavi

fahimalavi

Wonderful, I have few questions from you.
    1) I am making a game my fighting animations are not colliding even I attach colliders to the joints ? One thing more that animations are going outside the collider
    2) After receiving hit you are using general physics or animations ? How you have done these in your wonderful game

Last edited: May 7, 2015