Search Unity

Question How do I know if my character/avatar/model is "humanoid"?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Tonymotion, May 14, 2022.

1. Tonymotion

Tonymotion

TLDR: How do I know if a given character/avatar/model I have is "humanoid"? What part of the character, or one of its constituents, do I need to inspect?

Hello! This may be a very low-level question, but I can't find any answer to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've acquired a number of character models that are all rigged, as well as a variety of animations for actions humans can do. I'm trying out various third-person controllers to move these characters around, but some of the controllers' instructions say "make sure your custom model's rig is set to humanoid".

I've spent several hours over the past week in Unity Editor and online trying to find a setting or check box or anything that will tell me if the characters I have are "humanoid", but to no avail.

The closest hint I see is that if I'm importing models, there's an option for "None/Legacy/Generic/Humanoid", but I'm not importing anything - the character models are already set. They have a mesh (with no settings), a field for a Controller, and a field for an Avatar. When I click on that Avatar, the only option is "Configure Avatar", which rakes me to "Mapping" and "Muscles & Settings" tabs.

How do I know if a given character/avatar/model I have is "humanoid"? What part of the character, or one of its constituents, do I need to inspect?

Thank you, in advance! :)

2. FamousJoshua

FamousJoshua

You switch it to humanoid type in the inspector when you import the fbx. The drop down is labeled "Animation Type".
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/FBXImporter-Rig.html
    You switch from generic (I think is default, but yours is set to none?) to humanoid. Then you can define the bones but it should be able to automatically do that.

3. Tonymotion

Tonymotion

Thank you for your reply, FamousJoshua. But I'm not importing an asset. I don't have an fbx file. I already have a character/avatar.

For example, Synty has a lot of characters in its various low-poly packs, which are already set up for use and don't require any importing. How do I know if avatars like those are set up for humanoid, generic, legacy, none, or some other designation?