Search Unity

How do I import a model from Blender with multiple textures?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by dbryson, Sep 3, 2012.

1. dbryson

dbryson

I have a simple model in Blender with two textures (used on different faces), but when I import it into Unity it only has one texture. Does anybody know how to do this?

I have attached pictures showing what it looks like in Blender and Unity along with the blend file.

Thanks for any help on this.

Attached Files:

2. karljj1

karljj1

In Unity import settings change the Material Naming option to "From Models Materials" instead of base texture name. Blender has 2 ways to assign textures. One when you are using the UV tool you can select the texture and the other by using materials.Your object has the same texture assigned for the first method but the correct textures in materials.

Karl

3. dbryson

dbryson

Thanks. I guess you mean setting the texture for the different materials in the uv window by selecting the faces for each material and then selecting the texture in the uv window. I do that and it does seem to show the correct textures in the 3d view, but it will only show one texture in the uv window. Seems like a bug in Blender since you should be able to see the texture you are mapping to.

Anyway, when I transfer it into Unity it does have two textures. Yay!

4. karljj1

karljj1

You need to set blenders display mode to multitexture to display the UV editors texture view. Your project was set to glsl which shows the material view.

5. Edy

Edy

I've written a comprehensive guide on editing textures and materials in Blender so Unity 3D imports them correctly:

http://www.edy.es/dev/docs/materials-and-textures-from-blender-to-unity-3d/

In the UV window Blender shows the texture that is assigned to the Focused face. When multiple faces are selected, the Focused face is the one selected in the last place (it's displayed with different shading by default).

PS. Bumping an old topic because it still raises when you search for issues on this in Google.

SparrowGS and Ricks like this.