Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I have the default rigged model seperate from the animation information? (From Maya)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by From-Soy-Sauce, Aug 10, 2014.

1. From-Soy-Sauce

From-Soy-Sauce

Hello, I am using Maya to make animations. I understand that if I EVERYTHING as an FBX then I can upload that into Unity, and it works.

My model is rigged, uses bones and controllers, here is a screen shot of how it looks:

What I'd like to know, is if there is a way that I can export an FBX of the character, models, bones and controllers as a T-pose single frame, and then just export another FBX of the animation data (whether it be bones alone, or bones and controllers)>

Put those into Unity, Make an object that has the model as an attribute, and the animation as another attribute.
    --

BTW, the reason I want this is, it sounds like it would make implementing alt-costumes a lot easier.

2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Hi,

of course you can do that, for your main asset file with the model you create an avatar and then for each animation file you simply set the avatar definition to Copy from other avatar and select your source avatar.

You can also use the @ convention to setup all this for you.

Let say you have one file with your model called myAvatar.fbx and some animation file idle.fbx, run.fbx and walk.fbx

Simply pull all these file in the same asset directory and called them like this

myAvatar.fbx
    myAvatar@idle.fbx
    myAvatar@run.fbx
    myAvatar@walk.fbx