Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get the old ProBuilder UI back??

Discussion in 'World Building' started by BrainSlugs83, May 15, 2021.

1. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

I'm using 2020.3.4f1 and there's no option to downgrade ProBuilder or to pick an older version, and I just really liked the old "add new shape" dialog box, the new one is clunky and buggy and kind of painful to work with -- there's no create button, you have to drag a shape out and you can't just type it in and hit build.

Is there any way around this? I know you guys put a lot of effort into this, but I'm really having a bad time with the new UI.

2. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

Aside from the bad user experience, here's some of the bugs I'm seeing (completely borked UVs, this is a 1x1x1 cube) and broken box colliders (brand new shape, has not been edited):

3. Judgeking

Judgeking

Is there any Tooltips in the toolbar yet? I don't get why I need to choose between Icon and Text mode...

4. Open the
    manifest.json
    in the
    Packages
    folder inside your project folder and change the version number next to Probuilder to whatever you like. But beware, it is your responsibility to know which versions are compatible. Obviously make backup of your project, always use version control! And I'm not joking.

5. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

Do you know what the most recent version was before the UI got changed? -- The UI won't even show me what the versions are anymore. (Like, in package manager where it used to show them.)

6. I have no problem with Probuilder, so I don't care about its versions, currently I have 4.0.5.
    You can find it for yourself here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.probuilder@4.0/changelog/CHANGELOG.html

Also I don't know, how you are not able to change your version in Package Manager, I'm on Unity 2020.3.8f1 and I can switch Probuilder from 4.0.2 to 5.0.3 at least a dozen of versions.

BrainSlugs83 likes this.
  7. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

I should update my Unity first then.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  8. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

Also, that changelog can't be right -- it says the latest update was in 2019 -- but like -- the UI changed in the last month. -- it had a different UI in April.

Edit: But yeah, even in Unity 2020.3.8f1 it doesn't show me any other versions like it used to -- it just shows 5.0.3. 4.0.x seems like a huge downgrade, so I'm not going back that far though...

9. Oh I'm sorry I gave you a link to the version I use currently because I was too lazy to update since everything I currently need is in the version I use.
    You could just hit the button:
    screenshot1.png

You may want to turn on the "Show Preview packages" option in the settings if you haven't.

BrainSlugs83 likes this.
  10. BrainSlugs83

BrainSlugs83

What I was saying was, I didn't have any of those buttons. -- I uninstalled it completely, and now it's giving me the version buttons again. I don't really know what's going on or why the button was hidden, but now that I can see them again, I'm gonna try version 4.5.0, since I guess that actually was the version my previous projects were using.

Thanks for the heads up though.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! Sorry for the troubles. If you get time to send bug reports in, that's a big help for us (Help > Report a Bug). I'll check on these that you mentioned here though, for sure.

Regarding the old method, you can do this:
    - Click "New Shape"
    - In the overlay that pops up, type whatever you like, as before :)
    - Hold SHIFT - you'll see a preview of that shape at your mouse position, click to place it

So, only the last step is different there, and it should let you place the shape in a more precise location. Hope that info helps!

shikhrr likes this.
  12. Maskeowl

Maskeowl

how i can download old versions?

13. carltonforrester

carltonforrester

Sorry to respond to an old post but I've run into an issue and it looks like you may be knowledgeable on Probuilder. So, I just upgraded to Unity 2021.3 and it seems to have upgraded Probuilder to 5.0.6 (with no option to downgrade back to 4.x). So. my question is... when I need to create a shape where I don't know what the final size will be (for example, an arch that has a circumference of 70 - or any number that would not be easy to calculate what the size would be on every axis, how can I create the shape so that it's not deformed on one or more axis? With the old version, I would create the shape with very specific settings so that it would fit what I'm trying to build. Now, when I attempt this, because I don't know what the final size will be, the shapes are deformed/squashed on one or more axis.

I'm a huge user of probuilder and this is a major problem for me. I'm really hoping I'm just missing something that will easily fix this problem.

If this can't be fixed, how can I roll back to version 4?

14. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hmm, all the same settings should be available in the Create Shape Overlay - or is something missing?

Also, you can hold SHIFT and hover in the scene, to see a preview of the shape, then click to place it, if you prefer that method.

Maybe most importantly ... after creation, you can always modify any of the parameters, as many times as you need, so it shouldn't matter what you start with, right? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something there :)

upload_2023-1-31_22-28-20.png

upload_2023-1-31_22-30-43.png

15. carltonforrester

carltonforrester

Thank you for your reply! Yes, there is something you cannot do in the new version. In the old version, I could create any shape without specifying it's size. So, for shapes of unknown or asymmetric size, say an arch with a radius of 7 and circumference of 35 (just coming up with an odd example), there is no way anyone is going to know the correct size on all axes. You would need to do some complex math to figure that out. The old version of Probuilder didn't require a size to create a shape. It just created it with the radius and circumference you entered, and it would be whatever size that ended up being.

Now, it seems like you can't create a shape without specifying it's size (which may be unknown). So, I guess my question is, is there a way to create a shape without specifying the size - and just let the shape be created in whatever size keeps the proportions true?

Are you able to create an odd shape (like the example above) and keep the proportions correct (not sqaushed)? If you can do it, please let me know how. Maybe I'm missing something.

The reason I need this, is I have several projects where I create "parts" for tracks and rails, etc. where I just create the parts and put them together to create the level for the game. This won't work unless all the shapes are perfectly proportional to their specified radius and circumferences.

Thank you!!

16. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hmm. I'm missing something critical here, sorry. Maybe you could make a short video? The size was always a setting that was chosen ... did it previously do some auto-adjusting, that it no longer does?

Edit: oh! I see! Arch used to have a "Radius", now it has XYZ size. Is this what you mean? Hmm, this is bad indeed. Hopefully it's just a bug, I'll check!
    upload_2023-2-2_15-29-14.png
    upload_2023-2-2_15-29-33.png

17. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

(whyyy did those images come out so large, sorry, ha)

18. carltonforrester

carltonforrester

Yes, that is exactly the issue! Sorry I didn't explain it well. Hopefully we can get the ability back to create the arch and torus based on radius instead of size. Thanks!!