Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get started with Tiny 2D?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by mrpmorris, Sep 18, 2020.

1. mrpmorris

mrpmorris

I've seen the github project and the starter template, but I can't guess what to do with it. Is there a quick start somewhere for 2D apps? Perhaps a walk-through for creating a simple 2D game or something?

2. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @mrpmorris,
    Currently we have the 2D Entities Starter, being our template project, and our two demos, TinyGems and TinySpaceship, being our demo projects to showcase how one could structure DOTS code to create a game. We do not have any walk-through, but we do have some code examples in the 2D Entities package documentation.

At a high level, creating a Tiny application is very similar to creating any kind of application. You begin by deciding on what you would like to create, and then break the application down into bite size chunks of work.

If we look at TinySpaceship, and its systems, it is very much structured that way. We set out to create an astroids like game. We knew we needed some basic systems, such as
    Once we had created those systems, we gave ourselves new tasks that we had to create in order to complete the game.

My advice would be to work in a similar fashion. Figure out what you would like to create, break it down into small tasks, figure out how to create each task, then iterate.

Best of luck, and let us know about your progress!

3. mrpmorris

mrpmorris

I really need a getting-started. There is too much I don't know.

1: How do I create a new Tiny 2D app.
    2: How do I edit scenes in that mode
    3: How do I create a release build

Can anyone recommend any videos? It's disappointing Unity3D doesn't have a getting started doc.

4. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies