Search Unity

Resolved How do I get rid of the highlight/reflections?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by DarkEcho, Oct 4, 2020.

1. DarkEcho

DarkEcho

How do I get rid of the highlight/reflections?
    Please see video.

The material used has no Smoothness.
    What should I be looking at? (I had a look at all, nothing obvious to me)
    • Light source
    • Material
    • Mesh Renderer
    • Shader (Do I have to make a custom one?)

2. bgolus

bgolus

Your mesh's normals are bad. The top of that roof should be pointing up, but because you have smoothed normals it's wrapping around and the normals are pointing away from the camera, which shouldn't be possible in the real world, hence it looking weird.

Having a hard edge on the mesh normals, or using a baked normal map from a mesh that does have hard normals (and maybe other details like the shingles) would help immensely.

Alternatively you can try checking off the "Specular Highlight" and / or "Reflection" options on the material itself. Or switch to using a Standard Specular shader instead of the default Standard "Metallic" shader and set the specular color to black. Metallic and Smoothness set to 0.0 is not no specular, it's default non-metal specular which is equivalent to RGB 56, 56, 56 with a very rough specular.

3. DarkEcho

DarkEcho

This is what I got so far, although some highlight/reflection remains...Im hopping to get rid of all of it.

upload_2020-10-4_20-35-13.png

upload_2020-10-4_20-33-40.png

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Select your mesh in your project view, then in the inspector switch Normals from Import to Calculate, hit Apply, and see if that helps.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  5. DarkEcho

DarkEcho

That worked PERFECTLY!

I assume judging by whats writen on the tin, is is just a case of Unity ditching the External models normals for its own?

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yes, calculate ignores the supplied normals and re-calculates them based on the settings that appear.