Search Unity

How do I get extra nodes in a Humanoid rig animation to mirror?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by thePostFuturistUnity, Jun 7, 2020.

1. thePostFuturistUnity

thePostFuturistUnity

Hello,

The mirror checkbox for motion clips in a Humanoid rig -- how do I get it to mirror extra nodes? With my trial and error I have only been able to mirror the main rig, but the node prop stays unmirrored.

2. arvindchetu

arvindchetu

Yes you can animate extra bone with a Humanoid rig, by default extra bone animation are not imported. You need to explicitly open the mask foldout in your model importer setting and select the extra bone that you would like to animate.

That been said, extra bone animation won't be retargeted automatically like all the human bone. The only way to have extra bone retargeting is to have identical rigs: same transform hierarchy with same name.

Human bone are retargeted using the mecanim muscle retargeter: a FK pose from the source avatar is converted to a muscle pose(there is a predefined set of muscle and this is why we have predefined set of human bone) and then the muscle pose is converted to destination avatar FK pose.

For Extra bone animation, if both rig match the animation curves are simply played on the destination avatar. This has some limitation like if both rig match but have different proportion, longer arm or leg, the retargeting may not look good.

3. arvindchetu

arvindchetu

4. thePostFuturistUnity

thePostFuturistUnity

That I understand and have taken into account, but indicating the extra bone with an indentical rig does not mirror the node transforms.

My FBX contains a kettlebell for a 3D character, that I specified in the mask:
    upload_2020-7-2_15-1-37.png

The animation rig is mirrored, but the node stays unmirrorred:

upload_2020-7-2_15-2-42.png