Search Unity

how do I frame a shot from the game view, like in maya?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by laurentlavigne, Jan 26, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

When I rough out a previs I do it from the viewport, but the game view doesn't allow that and moving the scene view then press ctrl+shift+f with the camera selected is a bit unnecessary
    Is there a way to do that from the camera view directly?

also when doing a hand held shot or even a technocrane, same: first I rough out by hand, is there a way that cinemachine facilitates that sort of workflow? I'm thinking some physical layer where CM adds the weight and proper inertia between the keyframes so I don't have to refine the anim curves by hands.

And how do I see the camera path that I animate by hand?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I will assume that you are building a timeline with CM shots. If this assumption is not correct, please explain to me a little about your workflow.

In the latest version of CM (2.5.0), we have changed the creation of new vcams so that by default they are positioned to mimic the scene view. So, you can create a new CM shot on your timeline, then just do Create in the shot inspector:

upload_2020-1-27_13-43-56.png

And it will give you a vcam that matches the scene view.

Similarly, the Create Vcam menu entry will also give a vcam that matches the current scene view:

upload_2020-1-27_13-44-55.png

For your second question, one way to do it is to create a TrackedDolly vcam, and create the path using the scene view as a waypoint placement guide:

upload_2020-1-27_13-47-33.png

Then, create a new waypoint, select it, adjust the scene view to be what you want, then press this little thingy:

upload_2020-1-27_13-48-46.png

Then, you can animate the vcam's position along that path by animating this field in the TrackedDolly vcam:

upload_2020-1-27_13-50-34.png

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

So one shot = 1 virtual camera? and then once created, what's the easy way to change the shot, reframe it, without resorting to constraints? Maya in-gameview change would be ideal, I can live with ctrl+alt+f but meh...

The context is i'm making this super long panic room type shot.

When using a path the problem is framing changes when i change the path as it is a normalized value. There is nothing I can do about it, it's what path do. I think I'll try having multiple virtual cameras, each with their own constraints and then blend in between them.