Search Unity

How do I fix this NullReferenceException Error?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by VoltageOfficial, Oct 25, 2017.

1. VoltageOfficial

VoltageOfficial

Hey there,

I am trying to make a script that changes from First Person to Third Person, and Vice Versa, but as soon as I assigned the variables to the GameObjects, I got THIS error from a COMPLETELY different script, and since it was a different script, I have no idea how to fix this:

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 5.11.21 pm.png

This is the ProtectCameraFromWallClip script in Standard Assets.
    This is the script I have made (Bear In Mind These Factors: This is a JavaScript, and I am using Unity 5.6):

Code (JavaScript):
    1. #pragma strict
    3. var ThePlayer : GameObject;
    4. var FirstPersonCam : GameObject;
    5. var ThirdPersonCam : GameObject;
    6. var check;
    9. function Start () {
    10.     ThirdPersonCam.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    11.     FirstPersonCam.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    12.     check = true;
    13. }
    15. function Update () {
    16.     if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.R)) {
    17.         if (check) {
    18.              FirstPersonCam.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    19.              ThirdPersonCam.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    20.         }
    21.         else{
    22.             FirstPersonCam.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    23.             ThirdPersonCam.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    24.         }
    26.         check = !check;
    28.       }
    29. }
    Any ideas? Sorry for the inconvenience about the whole Unity 5 thing, but thanks for any help.
    Also, the ProtectCameraFromWallClip script is C#, but my script is JavaScript. I have heard they work fine together, and they are, it's just for some reason I am getting this error. Thanks!

2. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

The other script is probably using the Camera.main variable. If you are turning off a camera with the tag "MainCamera" and not turning on another camera with that tag then Camera.main will be null and any script referencing that will get a null exception.

That's just a guess at what's going on. Without seeing the code in the other script I can't do better than that.

3. VoltageOfficial

VoltageOfficial

Here Is the other script for you:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. namespace UnityStandardAssets.Cameras
    6. {
    7.     public class ProtectCameraFromWallClip : MonoBehaviour
    8.     {
    9.         public float clipMoveTime = 0.05f;              // time taken to move when avoiding cliping (low value = fast, which it should be)
    10.         public float returnTime = 0.4f;                 // time taken to move back towards desired position, when not clipping (typically should be a higher value than clipMoveTime)
    11.         public float sphereCastRadius = 0.1f;           // the radius of the sphere used to test for object between camera and target
    12.         public bool visualiseInEditor;                  // toggle for visualising the algorithm through lines for the raycast in the editor
    13.         public float closestDistance = 0.5f;            // the closest distance the camera can be from the target
    14.         public bool protecting { get; private set; }    // used for determining if there is an object between the target and the camera
    15.         public string dontClipTag = "Player";           // don't clip against objects with this tag (useful for not clipping against the targeted object)
    17.         private Transform m_Cam;                  // the transform of the camera
    18.         private Transform m_Pivot;                // the point at which the camera pivots around
    19.         private float m_OriginalDist;             // the original distance to the camera before any modification are made
    20.         private float m_MoveVelocity;             // the velocity at which the camera moved
    21.         private float m_CurrentDist;              // the current distance from the camera to the target
    22.         private Ray m_Ray = new Ray();                        // the ray used in the lateupdate for casting between the camera and the target
    23.         private RaycastHit[] m_Hits;              // the hits between the camera and the target
    24.         private RayHitComparer m_RayHitComparer;  // variable to compare raycast hit distances
    27.         private void Start()
    28.         {
    29.             // find the camera in the object hierarchy
    30.             m_Cam = GetComponentInChildren<Camera>().transform;
    31.             m_Pivot = m_Cam.parent;
    32.             m_OriginalDist = m_Cam.localPosition.magnitude;
    33.             m_CurrentDist = m_OriginalDist;
    35.             // create a new RayHitComparer
    36.             m_RayHitComparer = new RayHitComparer();
    37.         }
    40.         private void LateUpdate()
    41.         {
    42.             // initially set the target distance
    43.             float targetDist = m_OriginalDist;
    45.             m_Ray.origin = m_Pivot.position + m_Pivot.forward*sphereCastRadius;
    46.             m_Ray.direction = -m_Pivot.forward;
    48.             // initial check to see if start of spherecast intersects anything
    49.             var cols = Physics.OverlapSphere(m_Ray.origin, sphereCastRadius);
    51.             bool initialIntersect = false;
    52.             bool hitSomething = false;
    54.             // loop through all the collisions to check if something we care about
    55.             for (int i = 0; i < cols.Length; i++)
    56.             {
    57.                 if ((!cols[i].isTrigger) &&
    58.                     !(cols[i].attachedRigidbody != null && cols[i].attachedRigidbody.CompareTag(dontClipTag)))
    59.                 {
    60.                     initialIntersect = true;
    61.                     break;
    62.                 }
    63.             }
    65.             // if there is a collision
    66.             if (initialIntersect)
    67.             {
    68.                 m_Ray.origin += m_Pivot.forward*sphereCastRadius;
    70.                 // do a raycast and gather all the intersections
    71.                 m_Hits = Physics.RaycastAll(m_Ray, m_OriginalDist - sphereCastRadius);
    72.             }
    73.             else
    74.             {
    75.                 // if there was no collision do a sphere cast to see if there were any other collisions
    76.                 m_Hits = Physics.SphereCastAll(m_Ray, sphereCastRadius, m_OriginalDist + sphereCastRadius);
    77.             }
    79.             // sort the collisions by distance
    80.             Array.Sort(m_Hits, m_RayHitComparer);
    82.             // set the variable used for storing the closest to be as far as possible
    83.             float nearest = Mathf.Infinity;
    85.             // loop through all the collisions
    86.             for (int i = 0; i < m_Hits.Length; i++)
    87.             {
    88.                 // only deal with the collision if it was closer than the previous one, not a trigger, and not attached to a rigidbody tagged with the dontClipTag
    89.                 if (m_Hits[i].distance < nearest && (!m_Hits[i].collider.isTrigger) &&
    90.                     !(m_Hits[i].collider.attachedRigidbody != null &&
    91.                       m_Hits[i].collider.attachedRigidbody.CompareTag(dontClipTag)))
    92.                 {
    93.                     // change the nearest collision to latest
    94.                     nearest = m_Hits[i].distance;
    95.                     targetDist = -m_Pivot.InverseTransformPoint(m_Hits[i].point).z;
    96.                     hitSomething = true;
    97.                 }
    98.             }
    100.             // visualise the cam clip effect in the editor
    101.             if (hitSomething)
    102.             {
    103.                 Debug.DrawRay(m_Ray.origin, -m_Pivot.forward*(targetDist + sphereCastRadius), Color.red);
    104.             }
    106.             // hit something so move the camera to a better position
    107.             protecting = hitSomething;
    108.             m_CurrentDist = Mathf.SmoothDamp(m_CurrentDist, targetDist, ref m_MoveVelocity,
    109.                                            m_CurrentDist > targetDist ? clipMoveTime : returnTime);
    110.             m_CurrentDist = Mathf.Clamp(m_CurrentDist, closestDistance, m_OriginalDist);
    111.             m_Cam.localPosition = -Vector3.forward*m_CurrentDist;
    112.         }
    115.         // comparer for check distances in ray cast hits
    116.         public class RayHitComparer : IComparer
    117.         {
    118.             public int Compare(object x, object y)
    119.             {
    120.                 return ((RaycastHit) x).distance.CompareTo(((RaycastHit) y).distance);
    121.             }
    122.         }
    123.     }
    124. }

4. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Again I can only guess but I'd say that,

GetComponentInChildren<Camera>() on line 30 is returning null because your script has disabled the gameobject with the camera so GetComponentInChildren<Camera>() cannot find it. you could change this line to

m_Cam = GetComponentInChildren<Camera>( true ).transform;

the 'true' value passed in will tell GetComponentInChildren to look for components of type Camera on active AND inactive gameobjects.

While this may fix your current null object issue I'm not sure what other repercussions it may have.