Search Unity

How do i fix: "Assertion failed on expression: 'm_InstanceID != InstanceID_None'"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nicmarxp, Apr 28, 2020.

1. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Hi,
    I updated my project to 2019.3.11f1 and lot of the assets I use, and suddenly i started getting 5-6 of each of these when I enter play mode:
    Assertion failed on expression: 'm_InstanceID != InstanceID_None'
    Assertion failed on expression: 'instanceId != previousInstanceID'

I read another thread that it could related to physics, but it doesn't give any reference to a gameobject, line of code or anything.

How do I get rid of it? Also the editor started crashing abrubtly and it might be related to this, but I'm not sure.

Thank you in advance!

anycolourulike and Ignacii like this.
  2. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

I deleted the post processing volume and layer on my camera, and it went away and stopped crashing. So maybe the profile was corrupt.

3. Ignacii

Ignacii

Hi! Disabling "Enter Play Mode Options (Experimental)" fixed the problem. But disabling Post Processing Layer and Volume also works.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Yeah exactly, i forgot to say that, Does that mean i can't use post process at the same time as the quick enter play mode?

5. Ignacii

Ignacii

Well that's what I am gonna do. Need to report I guess

6. Ignacii

Ignacii

I don't think those errors are in any way destructive so I will keep using fast enter play mode function and enjoy those errors every time :D

7. spaceemotion

spaceemotion

Can confirm, on 2019.3.13f1 with Post Processing 2.3.0 we're getting both errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assertion failed on expression: 'm_InstanceID != InstanceID_None'
    2. Assertion failed on expression: 'instanceId != previousInstanceID'
    Checking the "Reload Scene" under "Enter Play Mode Settings" fixes that:

upload_2020-5-23_19-46-13.png

8. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Please note that this is a physics forum. Maybe try posting on a graphics forum instead.

9. jRocket

jRocket

Still happening in 2020.1.0b11. I think the root problem is the "Enter Play Mode Options", so not necessarily graphics related. I have submitted a bug report. Case #1254819

10. jjejj87

jjejj87

I can confirm this is happening in 2020.2b12. I am going to report it and see why it is still not fixed after all this time.

11. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Again, this is nothing to do with physics even though it's posted on the physics forums and I don't have real any knowledge on the subject however I did take a look for you and can confirm that the bug report 1254819 above was closed as a duplicate against the original report:

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...es-when-destroyimmediate-is-used-in-ondisable

The original bug report was related to the Enter Play Mode Options. If it's not fixed and yours is related to the same then I'm sure it'll help. Of course, that error could be caused by many things so you might be assuming it's the same thing.

You're better off posting on the Editor forums if you need to chase this.

Your bug report alone will help determine that though so hopefully it'll get attended ASAP.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  12. ilizzium

ilizzium

if anyone comes across this. the bug appeared due to the lack of cinemachinebrain on the camera when other objects used modules derived from it