Search Unity

Question How do I fill out the "Microphone Usage Description" for a Standalone macOS build?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Secret_Juice123, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Secret_Juice123

Secret_Juice123

I've just finished up my jam game for Ludum Dare 48, and I've got some requests to port it over to macOS.

Problem is that I'm using Unity's Microphone API for a core mechanic of the game, and when I try to export for a Standalone macOS build, I get these errors:

-Microphone class is used but Microphone Usage Description is empty. App will not work on macOS 10.14+.
    -Exception: A required capability description is not set.

The build results in a failure each time.

Googling these issues led me to believe that I apparently just need to fill in some text wherever the "Microphone Usage Description" is. Though, it seems that the forum posts I see describe the process for iOS, but not for macOS. I can't find in the Player Settings where to change it.

Am I missing something? My personal machine is Windows 10, so I have no experience working with mac. Unity version is 2020.2.4f

Let me know if there's any more information I could provide.

Thanks!

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It's in player settings: upload_2021-4-26_17-55-20.png

3. Secret_Juice123

Secret_Juice123

Thanks for the reply, but that field is simply absent in my Player Settings...

upload_2021-4-26_20-33-26.png

When I switch it from Mono to IL2CPP it remains the same.

upload_2021-4-26_20-34-34.png

These are my build settings.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

:eek::eek::eek:

Looks like there's a bug that makes this UI label appear only on macOS editor. Furthermore, looks like the scripting API to set it isn't public! Could you submit a bug report for it?

In the meantime, you can workaround it using this editor script:

Code (csharp):
    1. typeof(PlayerSettings.macOS).GetProperty("microphoneUsageDescription", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.Static).SetValue(null, "YOUR DESCRIPTION GOES HERE");

JoeStrout likes this.
  5. Secret_Juice123

Secret_Juice123

Nice! That's definitely worth a shot.

Sorry for my ignorance though, how would I implement that block of code in my project? I've done next to zero with editor scripting.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

7. LuGus-Jan

LuGus-Jan

Is there any progress on when this will land in any Unity 2020 release? Currently using 2020.3.16 and this field is still not showing.

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yes, the fixes landed to 2021.1.18f1 and 2020.3.17f1. 2019.4 backport is still in progress.

LuGus-Jan likes this.
  9. LuGus-Jan

LuGus-Jan

@Tautvydas-Zilys Thanks for the quick response! Looking forward to the next version then. :)