Search Unity

How do I enter comments?

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by Nodrap, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Nodrap

Nodrap

I'm trying to get comments added per key (not per language) so I can add description that can help translators. I see the shared metadata and enabled comments. I can export csv's with this field but I can't for the life of me find a way to enter the comments.
    I would hope/expect it to be a column on the Localization Tables tab but I can't see a way to enter anything. Could someone let me know what I'm missing?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Comments are metadata. You can click the button for the entry to see the metadata
    1.png

3. Nodrap

Nodrap

Ahh great, that has solved it, much appreciated. It does seem a little tricky to use as I guess I need to add the comment field for every entry I want a comment? My other error was that I was expecting the right hand side to update from clicking on any field in the row - but now I know to press the button.
    I was hoping for it to be a new column in the view so it was as easy to enter as the translations (am coming from a spreadsheet approach that I've used previously).
    Perhaps a suggestion for a future version?

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yeah we do have plans for a new table editor although we may move away from the spreadsheet view as it's quite limiting especially when you start adding in metadata such as comments etc.
    You could always use the Google sheets or CSV features and work with a comment column and then import them afterwards.

5. Nodrap

Nodrap

Well the hope is to generate the keys etc. in Unity (which this does nicely), export it to csv and pass it to an external translation tool where they process it and return the translated version to be imported to the project.

karl_jones likes this.
  6. Nodrap

Nodrap

Another suggestion would be for when you add a table entry (after adding the Localize String Event with the right-click menu) could it populate the default language entry with what is in the referenced text element? I'm in the process of moving a project over to localization and if it copied the existing text across at that step it would speed things up really nicely.

karl_jones likes this.
  7. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We do search for a key with the same name and we are currently integrating the quick search package to improve this. Adding a new entry could be possible, how would you decide what table it gets added to by default?

8. Nodrap

Nodrap

Oh, is there not a concept of a default language? I guess if there isn't one then the first column. Or if this feature is optional you could have an "autofill" setting that also lets you set which language to autofill into.