Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I edit a C# script / configure an editor to use?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lukeDupont, Sep 6, 2017.

1. lukeDupont

lukeDupont

I'm running the latest beta of Unity3d for Linux in Ubuntu 16.04 / Gnome, and am new to Unity in general.
    I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to edit a (C#) script. Double-clicking a script or clicking 'Open' in the inspector does nothing.

A google search yielded some advice that I may have to configure my editor in Edit > Preferences, but nothing happens at all when I click on Preferences.

I installed Unity by downloading 'unity-editor_amd64-2017.2.0xb6Linux.deb' which I understand to be the latest version, and ran dpkg -i and apt install -f to install it and its dependencies. I did not install anything else related to C# or Unity.

What am I missing?

Possibly relevant: I get the following error when I launch Unity:
    Error loading launcher://unity//home/luke/.local/share/unity3d/Packages/node_modules/unity-editor-home/dist/index.html?code=dvU-ssglD6TArETqd1v8nA011f&locale=en&session_state=f9e0c2e1ceaebdf213cd31e97ce27492800118f1f935556e291e52519ff2fee1.puk_6YEeEych2ZrB1BH9Bg00bf

EDIT: Okay, Preferences actually does work. For some reason it was just opening a window on a different monitor, out of focus and behind my other windows. However, I still can't open any scripts with either the built in editor or MonoDevelop! The option to 'Open C# Project' doesn't do anything, either.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  2. mageaster

mageaster

Maybe monodevelop also opens on the other display?

3. mrspeaker

mrspeaker

I downloaded Monodevelop from the Ubunutu Software store thing, then did `which monodevelop` to get the install location, and in Unity went to Edit->Preferences->External Tools->Browse... and selected the monodevelop binary.

This would open the solution correctly, but I was getting build errors about System.Object and System.XML namespace etc... I had to do `sudo apt-get install mono-reference-assemblies-2.0` and `sudo apt-get install mono-reference-assemblies-3.5` to get the DotNET stuff to work.

4. draco_nite

draco_nite

Monodevelop is broken on the latest build.

5. mysticfall

mysticfall

Buy Rider and thank me later :)