Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

How do I download archived version of Unity?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Skade88, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Skade88

Skade88

Good Afternoon!

I am on Ubuntu Linux 20.04. My game dev team is using Unity 2019.4.11f1. That version is no longer available in the Unity Hub. I went to the Unity Archive like the Unity Hub suggested to find the older versions of Unity. (https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive). The page has direct download links for Windows and Mac but nothing for Linux. It does have the xdg-open link.

• That is failing silently when I try the link in Chrome.
    • When I try it in Fire Fox it tells me the link is unrecognized.
    • I tried just copying the xdg-open link and running it in Bash but it just gives me an error saying "The specified location is not supported"
    dave@laptop: xdg-open unityhub://2019.4.11f1/2d9804dddde7gio: unityhub://2019.4.11f1/2d9804dddde7: The specified location is not supported​

I think this is happening because the Unity Hub is now an app image and it does not get registered in any type of config file so things like xdg-open can't work. I am trying to figure out how to do that but the guides I am finding haven't been very helpful yet.

Am I on the right track here? Any pro tips would be very welcome.... I opened a ticket with Unity support but the automated response warned me it might take 10 business days to get even the first response sent back to me. :(

Best,
    David
    Brooks

2. Skade88

Skade88

I figured out a solution.

1) I went to the Unity Download Archive.
    2) Copied the the Unity Hub link
    3) Loaded up a terminal
    4) Launched the UnityHub.appimage with the copied link after it. (./UnityHub.AppImage unityhub://2019.4.11f1/2d9804dddde7) //This will open the Unity Hub and have it download and install Unity 2019.4.11f1

This was not obvious to me at all. It took a lot of digging and trying to get this to work. Can Unity make this process a bit more straight forward please?

Best,
    David Brooks

3. alextek1885

alextek1885

Amazing It worked as described

Skade88 likes this.
  4. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Unity Technologies