Search Unity

How do I download archived version of Unity?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Skade88, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Skade88

Skade88

Good Afternoon!

I am on Ubuntu Linux 20.04. My game dev team is using Unity 2019.4.11f1. That version is no longer available in the Unity Hub. I went to the Unity Archive like the Unity Hub suggested to find the older versions of Unity. (https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive). The page has direct download links for Windows and Mac but nothing for Linux. It does have the xdg-open link.

• That is failing silently when I try the link in Chrome.
    • When I try it in Fire Fox it tells me the link is unrecognized.
    • I tried just copying the xdg-open link and running it in Bash but it just gives me an error saying "The specified location is not supported"
    dave@laptop: xdg-open unityhub://2019.4.11f1/2d9804dddde7gio: unityhub://2019.4.11f1/2d9804dddde7: The specified location is not supported​

I think this is happening because the Unity Hub is now an app image and it does not get registered in any type of config file so things like xdg-open can't work. I am trying to figure out how to do that but the guides I am finding haven't been very helpful yet.

Am I on the right track here? Any pro tips would be very welcome.... I opened a ticket with Unity support but the automated response warned me it might take 10 business days to get even the first response sent back to me. :(

Best,
    David
    Brooks

2. Skade88

Skade88

I figured out a solution.

1) I went to the Unity Download Archive.
    2) Copied the the Unity Hub link
    3) Loaded up a terminal
    4) Launched the UnityHub.appimage with the copied link after it. (./UnityHub.AppImage unityhub://2019.4.11f1/2d9804dddde7) //This will open the Unity Hub and have it download and install Unity 2019.4.11f1

This was not obvious to me at all. It took a lot of digging and trying to get this to work. Can Unity make this process a bit more straight forward please?

Best,
    David Brooks

3. alextek1885

alextek1885

Amazing It worked as described

Skade88 likes this.
  4. KevinWelton

KevinWelton