Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I detect a collision between a game object and a particle?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by dusthound, Aug 7, 2019.

1. dusthound

dusthound

I am working on a 2D game where I am using a particle system to generate projectiles from the players weapon and now need to detect when a particle collides with an enemy GameObject. I have tried using the OnParticleCollision function to detect collisions but can't get it to work. I have tried attaching the function to both the particle system and the enemy GameObject but neither has worked. When I attached the OnParticleCollision function to the particle systems script the particles stopped colliding with the enemy GameObject and passed through it instead. I have send collision messages enabled on my particle system as well as the collision module. The collision type is set to world and the mode is set to 2D. I also have enable dynamic collisions on. I have tried looking for help in the API page for OnParticleCollision but haven't been able to figure it out. I am not sure what to do next to solve this problem and need some help.

2. GroZZleR

GroZZleR

Are you sure you need to use the particle collisions as your projectile? Those messages are sent for every single particle, which seems like overkill for a weapon system. I would attach the particle system to a GameObject with an invisible trigger or collider and use that for your collision callbacks.

3. dusthound

dusthound

I figured this method was more efficient than spawning in a new GameObject every time the player shoots