Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do i decide, how the GUI should look like?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Deepwolf413, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Deepwolf413

Deepwolf413

Hello, how can i find a GUI look that fits games i'm making.(I do not mean where on the internet)

Right now i can't decide how the GUI should look like, for a 'wave survival' game.

If you have some advice, or tips, i will appreciate it alot :)
    How do you decide the look of the GUI for your game? :)

2. Teila

Teila

Go to google, and type in game UI's or GUI. You will see lots of examples. I started a folder where I kept images of GUI's I liked, talked to gamers about what they liked in a GUI and I used ideas from games I played...what do I personally like in a GUI when I play.

Choose a theme that suits your game. There are plenty of GUI templates, some even with all the buttons and windows you need, on the asset store for not much money. They make it much easier. You can then add your own artwork to make the GUI original.

Deepwolf413 likes this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Scott Rogers has a great section on GUIs in his book, Level Up!, if you can get access to a copy.

The GUI should reinforce gameplay. Like @Teila writes, theme (the visual style) reinforces gameplay when it evokes the right mindset in the player. A colorful, cartoony interface with bouncy animations wouldn't fit the theme of a dark horror game.

Just as important, the GUI needs to let the player do everything he or she expects, without getting in the way. That's the hard part of GUI design. It means avoiding things like creating deeply layered menus and placing commonly-used button combinations at opposite ends of the screen.

Ultimately, if your GUI is evocative, intuitive, and efficient, you can't go wrong.

Deepwolf413 likes this.