Search Unity

How do I create a poor quality camera view?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by IainDaddy, Apr 11, 2015.

1. IainDaddy

IainDaddy

Hi Everyone,

I want to reduce the quality of the image on a camera to create a drone or satellite type view of a terrain. If anyone knows of a tool to do this that would be great but pointing me in the right direction will be enough as I have no idea of where to look, I just don't have the search terms.

To put this in context, the game is to assassinate an individual target. I want to give the player some "intelligence" before playing the level but, at present, the drone images are of far too high quality. I only want the player to have an idea of the layout of the level without giving away all the details. We have all seen films (ie Homeland, Spooks, etc) with the grainy, black and white intelligence images from the drone and, although I'm sure the military has much better cameras than is shown in the films, this is the kind of image we expect to see. I also hope that this camera effect will also apply to creating a player "Night Vision" view.

I look forward to your thoughts on this.

Iain

2. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

I haven't tried it myself, but using cookies on the lights comes to mind.

3. IainDaddy

IainDaddy

Hi,

The problem with that option will be that the player view will also be effected. A bit like colouring all the game objects B&W or adding fog. This just needs to be a drone camera thing.

But I will look up cookies and see if it gives me any leads.

4. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Perhaps the drone camera could have some kind of screen attached to it, in front (but not within the clipping plane) that partially obscures or otherwise distorts the view from that camera

5. IainDaddy

IainDaddy

Thanks Christian, screen, that's the word! :)

Well, I'm part of the way there. It seems there are a load of camera effects in the Standard Assets and there is little discussion of them anywhere. Add the grayscale & noise, a bit of blur and it does not look bad.

The problem is that it does not scale. On a PC at full resolution you can get the effect but you can see too much, put it on a hand held device and you can not see a thing. I'm back to trying to fix the camera resolution to, say, 640X360.