Search Unity

Question How do i change the shadowmask at runtime?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by LeoOB, Mar 30, 2023.

1. LeoOB

LeoOB

Im currently using this script to change my lightmapping data at runtime:
    https://github.com/MahmoudKanbar/Unity-Dynamic-Lightmaps
    I made some changes to it so i can also swap things like ambient color, skyboxes and such, but now im trying to also switch the shadowmasks at runtime.
    Currently i wanna use shadowmasks only for static objects so im using the shadowmask mode in quality settings, and it works well when i switch to the latest lightmap i baked for the scene, but when i try to load the next one its only rendering dynamic shadows for every object in the scene and i see a noticeable increase on the triangle count (going from around 150k to 470k)

To change the shadowmask i made sure to save its textures to the LightState assets, and to switch lightmaps the method UpdateLightMapsSettings() gets called (also inside the LightState script)

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void UpdateLightMapsSettings()
    2.         {
    3.             var newLightmapData = new LightmapData[Size];
    5.             for (int i = 0; i < Size; i++)
    6.             {
    7.                 newLightmapData[i] = new LightmapData();
    8.                 newLightmapData[i].lightmapColor = colorMaps[i];
    9.                 newLightmapData[i].lightmapDir = directionMaps[i];
    10.                 newLightmapData[i].shadowMask = shadowMasks[i]; //This is the line i added
    11.             }
    13.             LightmapSettings.lightmaps = newLightmapData;
    14.             LightmapSettings.lightProbes.bakedProbes = lightProbesData;
    15. ...
    Am i missing something? i thought by adding the shadowmask textures to the new lightmap data they would also get changed

2. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

The code you have looks sane, but this isn't the only data that feeds into shadowmask rendering. There is also Light.lightBakingOutput (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Light-bakingOutput.html). For each light, this struct contains:
    - A flag indicating whether the light has been baked
    - An enum indicating which part of the lights contribution was baked
    - The mixed lighting mode used for the light
    - The channel in the relevant shadowmask to use for the light
    - The channel in the relevant per-probe-occlusion data to use for the light (like shadowmask, but for probes)

This struct isn't serialized in the editor like most other data on lights - it's ephemeral data which is usually patched into the scene on load or when a bake has finished. Only when building the player is it serialized into the build (iirc).

Anyways, if you are messing with shadowmasks, you might want to have a look at these values. You might have to patch them up along with the shadowmask texture, depending on your setup.

giorgos_unity likes this.
  3. Kragh

Kragh

Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you! After having struggled ALL DAY with why my distance shadowMasks weren't showing up when the light rt shadows faded out, I finally find the solution here :) Copy/Paste of the the mixed lights BakingOutput settings to the new scenes matching lights (Debug mode in Inspector, and they show up, and can be copy/pasted with right click)
    Having made a system that sets all the other things automatically (So that I can have prefabs with lightmaps from a main scene), this was completely mysterious to me. Works!