Search Unity

How do I change my screen name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lancer, May 6, 2014.

1. lancer

lancer

As the title says, how do I change my screen name? I want to change my name from Lancer(when I got the name a year ago, I thought it would be changeable) to Nuri Technologies, as that is the name of my company. Is there some setting I missed in the settings panel, or should I contact an admin? and if so, what admin do I contact?

2. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

You cannot.

Deleted User likes this.
  3. lancer

lancer

Is it possible for an admin to do it for me?

4. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

I would contact Aurore, the community manager.

5. lancer

lancer

Okay, thanks. I had like a year long hiatus, so I have kinda lost track of who the admins are :p

6. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I really doubt she or any other mods will.

Deleted User likes this.
  7. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

I haven't tried it myself but if you click your name all the way on top of the page, you'll get a page with input boxes for name, email, password and a Update Account button. Try it and let us know, cause I would like to change to company name too in the future.

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What's the attraction to posting under a company name? A successful company typically represents more than one person, so it seems odd to me that an individual would want to represent themselves as a one-man-band under a company name rather than a personal name.

David Helgason doesn't post as "Unity".

9. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

You can get your username changed, but if you contact me I will only tell you to e-mail support at unity3d dot com, so I would go there directly.

10. goat

goat

Seems odd to me too but then I think you can count the number of posts he's made in the forums on your hands and feet. It's definitely desirable to use your company name if you are going to support an asset in the forums which I think is required. It helps to find the correct thread in the Asset Store subforum. I'd still rather see asset support moved from the forums and into a Q&A in the asset store kiosks (if all the scripts in the asset store weren't so slow). Forums are too often off topic something someone trying to support lots of users can't appreciate too much (think of the NUI guy for example).

If I were to ever publish anything in the asset store I'd have to then restrict myself out of the 'Gossip' section as it doesn't seem quite professional to post in a gossip section. Not that it's bad for you and me doodling in Unity, but it just seems someone supporting a product should be publicly visible in an objective way as possible even if you loose cool street cred in the process. LOL, not that anyone would look at my posts and think, wow, he's cool.

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

If I had a company I'd probably start a new account for it for official posts.

12. lancer

lancer

That is what I was going to do, but wouldn't that be counted as a dupe account?

13. lancer

lancer

Yeah, tried that, but I could only change my email, real name, and password

I see your point there, but ATM it is only me in my company(although I have two people who I'm planning to hire soon). But then the other thing is, how will people hat I'm really associated with my company, and not just someone pretending to be?

okay

14. Zeblote

Zeblote

Why does it matter? Many people have multiple accounts all over this forum.

15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

And if we see people using multiple accounts in a bad way, then we just ban them. ;-) (By "bad way" I mean trying to pretend that they are different people, or Fred saying "Bob's an amazing artists" when IP look up and other stuff tells us that Fred and Bob are the same person. Users should sign into the Forum using their (single) Unity account, which is the account they use when activating Unity. A forum account should ultimately drill down into a serial number. (And in my crazy moments I dream about Forum profiles which include the message "this user does not appear to have a legit serial number".)

16. lancer

lancer

I actually don't care what the other people do. If it is against the forum rules, it is against the rules, and I will not do it.

17. Dabeh

Dabeh

Note the "Director for Support" just said it's okay as long as it's not in a bad way.

Live a little, make an alt ;).

18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

So? You are not your company. That's the point of having a company. It's a distinct entity, even if it happens to represent the same individuals under the hood.

I'll be direct here, and say that people using a company name in an effort to sound more professional, official and/or mature have the opposite effect on me, because it gives me the impression that they're swooning under the novelty of having a company. It also directly tells me that they're a one man band.

How do you know that anyway? Imagine that I changed my username to Coke.

@lazy: For the support thing, I'd use a signature rather than a username.