Search Unity

How do I change a default material and shader for my render pipeline?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by ArtyIF, Aug 18, 2019.

1. ArtyIF

ArtyIF

Unity's HD and lightweight/universal render pipelines are somehow able to change the default material. For example, when you create an object through Create -> 3D Object in Hierarchy window, it already has a default material on it. They do the same with materials - any new materials you create have their shader assigned to it.

I want to do the same thing for my pipeline. However, after looking in their source code the only thing I found is how they upgrade materials through menus. For now I have a pretty messy workaround after searching stuff in the script reference (I have a class that inherits UnityEditor.AssetModificationProcessor, which adds an asset string to a static list in a class that inherits UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessor when user is about to create an asset if it ends with .mat, then the asset postprocessor replaces the shader when it post-processes all assets. It also uses OnPostprocessMaterial, but it works only in models), but IIRC it doesn't have the same result.

So, how do I properly change a default material and a default shader to my own?

2. joelv

joelv

Unity Technologies

3. ArtyIF

ArtyIF

Oh! I'm dumb. At first I did find these properties, but thought that they aren't referenced anywhere else. But I decided to check the script reference for RenderPipelineAsset and it turns out that it has some overridable properties. Thanks a lot!

4. Piedpiperz80

Piedpiperz80

I don't get it...

IPG2 likes this.
  5. Zee100

Zee100

6. tw00275

tw00275

Zee100 likes this.