Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Question How do I auto size TMP input field text so it fits vertically but overflows horizontally

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by ETGgames, Nov 22, 2022.

1. ETGgames

ETGgames

I'm trying to get my input field's text to expand and fit to the full height of the input field. But I don't want it to become smaller if it overflows off the side. Auto size will reduce the size to try and fit both horizontal and vertical, but I just want vertical fit.

2. Homicide

Homicide

A content size fitter not working for you?

3. ETGgames

ETGgames

Nope. If I put the content size fitter on the textmeshpro UI child component of the input field gameobject, it doesn't actually shrink or grow the vertical text size. And I don't want to put it on the the input field gameobject itself, because its size is determined by it's parent.

4. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

I don't think this is a feature as you are talking about two competing features:

* AutoSize, changes the font size based on the physical size of the text box, to make the text "fit"
    * Overflow moves words to new lines within the available space of the text field.

Better you focus on using a content size fitter to maximise the space the text field can use, along with a layout element to control the min and max values. Autosize is only really useful to set a min / max size to fit the area

Hope that helps, but it sounds like you need to design the areas rather than rely on features TextMeshPro provides.

5. ETGgames

ETGgames

hmm, as i suspected.

it's annoying coz i want responsive layout that depends on the parent size without having to code a manual system that updates the size.

I feel like this is a big enough use case that it should be built in.

6. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

You can have a responsive layout that responds to size/orientation, it just takes a lot of work with layout components and anchors to "get right"

But AutoSize is a very different feature exclusive to TextMesh Pro to work with a fixed sized area and ensure the text always fits in a single line.
    As a tip, also check the "advanced" settings in the TextMeshPro inspector and also search up other TextMeshPro examples, since Unity bought this feature rather than build it themselves.