Search Unity

how do I add scripts to tiles?

Discussion in '2D' started by sirjacobgoodrich, Jul 27, 2019.

1. sirjacobgoodrich

sirjacobgoodrich

I'm starting a new project, and I have run into an issue, this is my 1st time with tiles, and I need to give tiles different properties. For instance I want to give some tiles a resource value, for instance a "rock tile" would have ore as a resource. I can only add scripts to the tile map, which would give all the tiles the same properties.

2. hlw

hlw

You can create tiles classes deriving from the tilebase class, starting like this :

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEngine.Tilemaps;
    6. [CreateAssetMenu]
    7. public class BlockTile : TileBase
    8. {
    You'll have to override some of the functions in there.
    Putting in there a reference to an enum containing the names of each resource value this type of tile holds, or a flag system if a tile can contain multiple resources at once, or anything you like actually.

How do you "mine" a resource that is in a tile ? If you click on it or something, then you actually know how to get a particular tile in your tilemap, you could create a "map" class holding all the data that you can't acheive to store directly on tile in it, referenced with x and y coordinates, and call both the script on your tilemap that destroys the tile, and the script on the class you created to add some more logic.

I've just started a tilebased game and am not sure yet what are the best practices when it comes to do so though

3. Rafarel

Rafarel

You should watch this talk "Creating your first Scriptable Brush and Scriptable Tile" by Jay Santos at Unite Seoul 2018