Search Unity

Question How do bundled asset store packages work?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andycodes, Dec 16, 2022.

1. andycodes

andycodes

I have a set of asset packages that are all related, but in total are far more than the 6GB asset store package limit. I'd like to offer a "bundled" version of my packages still to let customers purchase everything at once, and still keep it as simple as possible to update all my packages and keep this bundle up to date.

I've noticed publishers like Lowlypoly and Blink offer texture bundles on the asset store and they're only KBs in size. The asset descriptions claim purchasing the bundles gives customers access to asset packages that compose the bundle. Does anyone know how to setup an asset package in such a way? Is it simply creating an empty package with a readme, and in the publisher portal setting all the bundled assets as free upgrades acquired when owning the bundle? Or have they worked out something with the Unity publishing team to provide these bundles?

If it is a case of offering free upgrades, is there a limit to the number of packages I can link in a bundle? I see most instances of this include 3-4 packages. And in terms of asset pricing, am I able to offer a bulk discount? I've looked through the asset publisher FAQ and none of these cases seem to be mentioned there, and it's been about 10 days since reaching out to Unity with no response. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

They may have a deal with Unity, given that some very popular asset devs work closely with Unity and are given special privileges. There‘s a program for that, something like „approved assets“ or the like.

The only other explanation I can imagine is that the asset has a script that downloads all content after purchase in the store. I have not seen this implemented in any asset I own though, and it may even be prohibited by the UAS terms of service.

andycodes likes this.
  3. Rowlan

Rowlan

You create an asset with a pdf in it. For the asset you create a paid upgrade. There you select "Lite version". The "Upgrade from" is your bundle, "Upgrade to" is an asset of your bundle. Set the price to 0. Do this for every asset in your bundle. Every publisher can do that.

When people purchase your bundle they get access to the individual assets in your bundle for free.

I'm not aware of a limit. I have plenty set up, eg occasionally I set it up to give customers a discount to my other assets because I'd like to give something back when they support me, ie the lite upgrade doesn't necessarily have to be a bundle.

kallais, CodeSmile and andycodes like this.
  4. andycodes

andycodes

Thanks for the insight!

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have gone with a slightly different approach for the Environment Building Bundle, i do about same as described, but add a small price to the Lite upgrades on each package, in order to support the individual assets better.

kallais likes this.