Search Unity

How difficult would it be to create a physics based fighting game?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Snupas, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Snupas

Snupas

I have a timeframe of a month. Haven't worked with unity all that much besides the roll a ball tutorial. Have basic knowledge in C#.

The game I have in mind would be a simple 3d physics based fighting game where the player could either kick or punch, each sending the enemy in a different direction. The camera would be static, set on the same angle as most fighting games(the side of the character), just more zoomed out.

There would be environmental hazards that would instantly kill the enemy and environmental hazards that would send him flying into a certain direction. It wouldn't matter which body part was punched so I wouldn't need to setup sensors in different parts of the enemy players body. The enemy players body rotation would have to change based on which direction he was sent flying in.

I'm up for using free assets from the store for now.

What difficulties would I face while creating this game?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Not happening to any degree of quality in a month. 6 months would be a good prototype.

Assuming the main player isn't ragdolled and merely affects objects around him:

1. any asset ie a platformer asset or such should work.
    2. On collision with a box or prop, you apply a fixed amount of force to send it flying in a predictable direction.

This could take a month no problem.

Assuming something like tekken is planned then you:

1. have to work out basic fighting game mechanics, including collision and so forth, timing, inputs, the whole works.

2. Mecanim to animate it correctly, including feedback from blows.

3. a full ragdoll but selectively tween between the ragdoll state and the animation state per limb or section.

Assuming for a second you don't want to use any animation, in this case it actually gets far more complicated since trying to keep a ragdoll up on it's feet and balanced would require forces and a lot of experimentation.

I don't know what quality you're aiming for. If its really crappy then you can can add forces to move say chest and pelvis around so it least remains moderately upright.

You've picked basically, one of the hardest subjects to tackle, for professionals, let alone newcomers with a month's experience in C#.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Ryiah likes this.
  3. Snupas

Snupas

Well that brought me back to earth.

Could you direct me to any genres or types of games that can be achieved within a short amount of time?

My plan B was to make a 3d game where you play as a police officer fending off zombies and preventing other people from turning into zombies. The player would have a top down view of the city. He would have to survive until x time to advance to another level and the score would be based off on how many survivors were left at the end of it.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

5. Snupas

Snupas

Thanks for the quick reply and I appreciate how you layed out what would be needed to be done for the type of game I originally wanted to do.

I have an asset set in mind, unfortunately it's not rigged or animated so that might take some time. Hopefully not longer than a week.

Thanks again.

6. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

Sounds alot like Gangbeasts (http://store.steampowered.com/app/285900/)

7. luisbermudez

luisbermudez

8. Epic7Ate9

Epic7Ate9