Search Unity

How did you guys begin learning Unity? (Programmer Only)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jayvd, Mar 26, 2015.

1. jayvd

jayvd

Hello, I am sorry if this question isnt suitable here. However I could not find other place to ask this question.

I am an iOS app developer and I have no experience in games. I dont understand the concept of 3d (shader, lighting, etc)

How should I proceed in learning Unity3D?

How did you begin to learn the concept of 3d gaming? What tutorial/resources that had helped you in the past that really helped your understanding of Unity?

Thank you!!

Anyway I am wondering,
    is it better to learn from unity.com/learn or from tutorial websites like Lynda and Digital Tutors?

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

In my belief, it is probably better, to learn Unity from the Official Unity learn/ Unity Tutorials here on this site.
    Since it is made by the Unity Engine creators themselves.
    And they know more about the Unity engine than most people. :)
    Then, after you understand at least some of the official tutorials stuff, then you could go and enjoy the tuts,
    from Lynda and Digital Tutors etc.

You can also check:
    Blender Cookies Unity Cookie tutorials
    if you like too. http://cgcookie.com/unity
    Or BergZergArcade. :)

Enjoy! :D

3. Kondor0

Kondor0

Well, in my case I was familiarized with some 3D concepts because I tried to be a 3D artist before (I'm a .NET Programmer with several years of experience btw) but still most of what I know now I learn it thanks to the official tutorials (not the current ones but the old ones: Lerpz, FPS, etc).

Also it helped reading the manual and a book called Unity Game Development Essentials.

As you can see most of my resources are outdated but the idea remains the same, Unity already provides most resources you'll ever need and if you find a concept that you don't know then Google and UnityAnswers are your friends.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

I learned most of the concepts while assembling my own simple engine using C++/OpenGL/Lua. Once I decided I had learned the basics though I switched to an existing engine. Initially this was UDK but a few weeks later I ran into Unity.

I learned Unity using video tutorials, both the old 3D Buzz tutorials and those on YouTube, as well as experimentation. If I were starting off now though I would use Unity's official tutorials and live training archives. Most of them are based around Unity 4, but the differences are minor and a little poking around and/or web searching usually finds the solution.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  5. Ness

Ness

Trainings from Lynda or other similar sources are usually of high quality so that's highly recommended, but also get yourself a habit of googling terms because Unity forums and answers are powerful learning tool.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Participating in answers is a good way to learn. The research required to answer other peoples questions will make your learning skyrocket.