Search Unity

how did you get started in game dev?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kablammyman, Aug 25, 2011.

1. steego

steego

Haha, I was actually lucky enough to be able to borrow it from a friend :D That was even a few years before I got my first 2400 bps modem, all my communication with the outside world was through snail-mail disk-swapping.

2. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

You never forget your first US Robotics 9600 modem. Sooooooo fast! I can download an entire floppy in ten minutes! :)

I got lucky when I got my Atari ST (quite a while before I laid my hands on an Amiga) as it came with a couple of the system developers manuals directly from Atari. Useful as the ROM was actually loaded from a floppy in to an external dongle on the 260 ST which then let me boot up. Having two floppy drives made it super easy to write the C compiler I was tasked with. If you wrote C on Atari ST and you lived in Europe you probably used my C compiler. I ramble. It has been a long day. :)

3. steego

steego

Oh no, I never laid my hands on an Atari, I was an avid Amiga fanboi :D

4. CkSned

CkSned

Mines is a very short story :/

Basically I couldn't decide what I wanted to do when I left school. So after a meeting with a guidance teacher and talking about my interest's ect they found a few courses for me to apply for. Games design/programming was one of them. I applied for a few different university courses, got accepted for them all but eventually chose to go for games programming. Just about to start my second year at university this month.

Made a very basic FPS game where you walk around an island and shoot barrels. Ive also made a tower defence game which you can see gameplay of here and im currently working on a little 2d/3d sidescroller game. I post video updates of that every few weeks. Feel free to look at those also - Link

5. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

I met with a careers guidance counselor once.

They asked me what I wanted to do when I left school.

I said I'd like to be a full-time computer programmer, certainly making games. The guidance counselor scoffed at the idea of making games for a living -- it was the early 1980's -- and also stated that I clearly didn't have the grades to ever consider a career in computer programming, certainly didn't have the math background.

I learned two things during that meeting, I was making more money programming computer games at the age of 16 than my guidance counselor made advising school children on future careers, and that I should never take advice about what I should do with my life or what I might be able to achieve in life from people who are not me.

:)

6. galent

galent

Ooohh, I felt like you were sooo close on that one. You know the saying, "those who can, do. those who can't, teach." Now, where does that leave a school career guidance counsellor?

Cheers,

Galen

7. Nateao

Nateao

Wen i was in school for Digital Electronic and principle in robotic i took i computer class Edit, Edlin,Echo off,we make a game in basic like centipede sense then i wan to make my own game,I took the curse for IBM DOS and Win 3.1 and then 3.11 3.1 was in some 5 " Disc and 3.11 was in 1/4 Disc after that wen to Unix and Linux Debian.

Now am using Unity 3D to make my game.

I make more money configuring mother board than doing electronic.

8. reissgrant

reissgrant

Three years ago, my boss said, "We need to make a game". So, I learned Quest3d, then moved onto Unity after seeing them at GDC. I couldn't be happier about that decision!