Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How did they get graphics like this?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by SilverStorm, Nov 14, 2020.

1. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Look at the sample image below that I uploaded-it's the default HDRP demo with light rotated.
    Now open this link and look at the 2 sample images and how realistic they look.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...gh-definition@10.0/manual/whats-new-10-0.html

Explain how they got that level of realism. Is it all Ray Tracing features, is there ways to get it looking that good without Ray Tracing because at the moment RT is too much of a fps hog even for my machine and the fps fluctuates too much by camera position.

Untitled.png

2. jjejj87

jjejj87

path tracing. Not really for realtime though....

Also, the first image looks super sampled.

chap-unity and AcidArrow like this.
  3. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Not really real time though huh, bummer.
    Hey is it true that the SSGI is a fallback meaning it can't be used independently of ray tracing?
    Can't we just turn it on once it's released on any DX11 system?

4. jjejj87

jjejj87

As far as my experience with it goes, SSGI doesn't require any raytracing hardware. So yes, it can be turned on pretty much any DX11 system theoretically.

However, the performance impact is as high as RTGI performance mode, so no, it isn't really viable unless you are looking for 1080p 30fps.

SSGI battles to maintain 50~60fps on my open world project with a RTX2080 @ 1440p, and the performance dips depending on the viewport so not really an option but more like a "fall back" literally.

SilverStorm likes this.
  5. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Ouch I feel ya.
    So I did a bit of investigating and got SEGI working in 2019.4 and noticed that actually in 2020 HDRP I could achieve quite a similar look mainly by tweaking the light settings and changing the HDRP sky to multiplier around 900. So for now I think I will get away with what I got.

[/ATTACH] SEGI.png HDRP.png

The first image is SEGI and the second is HDRP. I didn't use GI it's all real time. I can create at least for the day time scenarios some fake looking GI by using that multiply setting and thanks to the post effects like exposure it creates some really nice magic. The fake GI from that trick really makes a difference too it mimicks the look of the RTXGI how it brigthens the walls of the wood in the sample scene with the paint too. So if you can't get anything else at least my trick is an alternative. While the color in the SEGI looks more natural the finer details like AO and Shadows are much better in my image and I can probably fix the color with a post effect.

It's a lot easier to explain if you just load in my sample settings and you can see for yourself if it works. It's 2020.1.13f1 and with it you don't have to worry about any compatibility issues or frame rate issues that the rest of the GI solutions have and since it's all real time no baking worries either. You just have to tweak your directional light a little bit at 5000 intensity and 7000 temp.

For reference here you can see the default HDRP demo and my changes notice the fake GI off the walls and wood. (Ignore the red writing it's an old image on my old card).
    [/ATTACH] HDRP With Post FX.jpg HDRP New.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  6. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Here's my final update with post effects for some better color and crispness. Even though there's no GI of any kind in that image the extra exposure makes it seem like there is so the backfaces of objects shine the way they would if GI was there and while there's no color bleed that GI would do for the most part color bleed is a very specific thing that would otherwise be easily missed by the average viewer so I am happy with these results and ready to begin serious development. HDRP ultimate.png

7. andyz

andyz

Getting a good look without baked lighting is a bit of struggle (required if procedural/non-fixed world)
    Need good AO & GI, but the ambient occlusion is of questionable quality (certainly takes some fiddling) and GI in beta still (not convinced on it anyway).

8. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Hi yes the image I uploaded right above with the spheres has NO GI at all just good Unity trickery. I gave up on any kind of plugins or assets long ago even baking is a pain so I just do my best to get the look.
    And yes you are right about the AO I am not quite happy with the AO of the HDRP so I am looking to try other solutions right now I am testing HBAO. There's a sale going on right now too.

andyz likes this.
  9. andyz

andyz

Yes I think HBAO may be the only other one working with HDRP, not tried it yet

10. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I tried it with HBAO and wow HBAO is leagues better than the builtin HDRP AO.

11. jjejj87

jjejj87

Mind if I ask in what way?

Performance or quality? I am also interested in something better so was just curious.

12. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

It is better in both performance and quality. It is better in quality no matter what setting you use and out of the box the medium setting performs worse than the built-in AO however I have mine on the lowest setting and that performs the same as built-in AO and for some reason on this plugin changing quality settings doesn't result in much visual difference so that's a huge plus. I could tell the builtin AO was kind of wonky in some areas and I was right look at the difference in the AO between these two it's huge the first one is HBAO and the second is HDRPAO.

I used to use Amplify Occlusion and loved it but HBAO is REALLY customizable. The best part was how little I had to tweak I mainly just tweaked for performance to match the built-in. So HBAO easily wins.
    []---4.jpg []---5.jpg
    Look at how poorly the corner is detailed in HDRP ouch I can't release a game like that lol.
    The other issue is the HDRP when rotating the camera the AO can dramatically change and disappear which isn't good.
    []---6.jpg
    Ive also attached my settings thumbnail if you need it.

jjejj87 and andyz like this.
  13. jjejj87

jjejj87

Thanks for the detailed post, I will definitely look into this!

but since HDRP AO is GTAO, I am assuming the WTF'ed image is actually physically correct, and the HBAO, not so much. They both seem a little off somehow...we'd have to bake with a lightmapper or Ray Trace AO to see the physically correct result. HBAO looks nice, but it feels synthetic....haha

But that could be my old eye working its magic...

I will update this post if I get any news. Thanks for the reply mate.

14. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

It depends on preference. In my case I wanted something consistent and the HDRPAO was quite problematic when changing the camera and at certain angles and had very limited customization and no visualization of purely the AO. I needed a very consistent look and the thing is I only showed you the way I prefer it to look-you have a lot of tweakable options to get the AO different to a more physically accurate setup if you want it's that flexible.

Yeah no worries keep my updated, I just am done with all the baking nonsense and Ray Traced stuff. If I was to do baking it would have to be a very specific case where real time would not be feasible but HDRP is pretty good so far.

15. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

So I agreed with you about the physically accurate AO and so I tweaked the settings like turning on DOUBLE BOUNCE setting and all of a sudden we got a new Fake GI and bounce lighting which I really love all without affecting fps!
    HBAO New.png Preview.jpg

jjejj87 likes this.
  16. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

After a major bug in HDRP I could no longer use HDRP and lost that amazing lighting. There's some skybox business I don't want to deal with and it seems I had lost 50fps since the new HDRP update. Whatever the problem is I tried to create the same look in URP with the same settings and to my surprise I got pretty darn close with only half the performance hit!

There are some lighting differences as you can see but I'm still new to URP but as of now this is the only option if we want the best of both worlds in terms of graphics and scalable performance.
    I am actually extremely happy with the result so far the workshop looks amazing and the only thing really lacking in URP is the shadows as they don't have an ultra resolution setting but I can see it's on the roadmap. The shaders are in the demo are all standard and normal lit. I haven't tried the complex lit yet. My final thoughts are getting 350fps at 1440p resolution with graphics that nice is that work on all platforms is nothing to scoff at. Because URP is scalable I am sure I won't have any issues running that scene on even the oldest hardware.
    URP Unreal Look 2.png URP Unreal Look.png

17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Corners don't get dark in reality, AO is fake anyway. It's only "physically correct" if you want to simulate having mould in your house.

https://nothings.org/gamedev/ssao/