Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How did they create the human fall flat falling off the map effect?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by jsull1, Aug 30, 2018.

1. jsull1

jsull1

In the game Human Fall Flat, if you fall off the map, you fall for a few seconds and then land back on the same plane you just feel off of.
    I have acouple of ideas of how to do it by moving my falling character and camera up above the level again but I think you’ll be able to see the change because of the skybox, I could also move the whole level down but that’s a lot of processing power.
    Thanks in advance

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Not sure what you mean.
    Why you even think to move whole map?
    What are your concerns about skybox? Is just textured box with far distance faces.

jsull1 likes this.
  3. jsull1

jsull1

its hard to describe but the effect is when you fall off the map, you land back on the same map in a reality bending way. As if a copy of the map was underneath you the whole time.
    I could possibly move the map because my maps are small and actually made of cubes.
    Moving my player from underneath the map to onto of it while he is falling would work perfectly but the skybox, because its a visual reference point, would break the illusion.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Then the solution is to move skybox with player.

jsull1 likes this.
  5. jsull1

jsull1

How would I do that??

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

Make a cube as skybox, with inverted faces.

jsull1 likes this.
  7. jsull1

jsull1

that will move the skybox with player?

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'd just move both the camera and player back above the map once they fall far enough to not see the transition.

Should be a matter of just moving them both in the same frame just high enough to not visibly see that you've been moved.

jsull1 likes this.
  9. LaneFox

LaneFox

Are you legitimately asking how to move a cube?

10. jsull1

jsull1

Hey man I'm new to this and I didn't know if a skybox you could just access, like that. Also that was the first time I even learned that a skybox was a cube. Are you seriously commenting on new inexperience people's post just to make them feel bad about not knowing something while they actively try to fix the problem and learn the information? Honestly man, people come here to learn not be put down for trying to learn.

11. jsull1

jsull1

but thank you,
    MD_Reptile
    I'll try that right now

MD_Reptile likes this.
  12. LaneFox

LaneFox

I wasn't trying to be rude, it seems like a pretty weird thing to ask and it's not exactly clear what you're trying to accomplish.

If the game takes place on a floating island then all you have to do is store the last known position of where the character was grounded at, then when they fall really far just teleport them to that position except way higher. It doesn't have anything to do with moving the world or using custom skyboxes. In fact, the trick would be more obvious if you did use a custom skybox so it seemed like a but of a ridiculous thing to ask.

If you need the basics, there's a lot of great information here. Gamedev is generally 80% smoke and mirrors, so you'll need to come up with creative solutions to your design ideas.

Antypodish likes this.
  13. jsull1

jsull1

You don't think the visual reference between the player and the sky box behind him will make it obvious that the player was teleported rather than falling fluidly? The trick I was going for is that there was always an infinite amount of identical maps below you and you simply fell onto the next one rather than teleported onto the same. It's kind of hard to describe but the first time I attempted the trick it looked pretty obvious you were just thrown back up above the same map

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

@MD_Reptile gave you answer to a solution.

And @LaneFox asked legitimate question, since we indeed not sure, what you really want.

I suggest you try do thing first.
    Drop a player (whatever that camera will follow ) form a height, and see if standard (none cube based) skybox is moving.
    Otherwise you will be overthinking.
    You need keep trying, not guessing.

15. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

Set a Vector3 variable to keep track of the players transform.position
    then set up collider('s) around the edge of your map. When your player touches the collider, have it store your player's transform.positions in the variable.

Set a cube to that area(with code of course), and depending on whether you want the player to freefall in or respawn on the ground you set the Y-Axis coordinates higher that the players last transform. So if you want your player to drop into the scene, have the respawn cube set high one the Y-Axis and just have the fall flat animation set to play.

But to sum it up, you're just creating an OnTriggerEnter() to work when a player falls over and then a simple respawn code.

16. Antypodish

Antypodish

I am a bit concerned, if OP is advanced enough yet, to understand this approach. Nothing which can not be learned of course.

MisterSkitz likes this.
  17. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

I think I've given him a nice set of keywords to stimulate his learning experience. I'm sure my approach isn't near the most efficient way. unity is hard when ya don't know where to begin. Been there many times lol so I try to be as helpful as possible, yanno?

18. Antypodish

Antypodish

No worry, nothing wrong.
    But until OP replay back, it may be hard to judge, what OP's skills are at this moment.

MisterSkitz likes this.
  19. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

I agree, amigo. Ya never know, some people know Python, VB, HTML5, CSS, C++, Java, JS, GML (Like me) but have no clue of the API C# uses to reference objects within the program of Unity. And then there's so much interface to learn inside of unity.

Hey, I coded my butt off the other day for a main menu. Watched a tutorial and dude showed how to use the built in functions and it took like 10 minutes lol I was like wow.. so much for my 6 hours of goofing around haha!

But there's definitely a learning curve, much more than just knowing how to code. IMO

So ya never know, dude may be a gnarley programmer with zero Unity exp :p

Antypodish likes this.
  20. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

OP just wonder if the skybox will shift if he move the camera, and the answer is no, skybox doesnt shift when camera moves (at least the built in), it only shift(rotate to be precise) when the camera rotate. so his first solution looks good to me..