Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[How Did...] Rust Cave Systems?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DarkXess, Dec 25, 2016.

1. DarkXess

DarkXess

Hey guys, something has bothered me for many months now and still I have not yet found a simpler method on creating cave systems with the Unity terrain, but recent updates on Rust have shown that its doable and the way they have done so is awesome. So my question is, apart from using such assets as "Relief Terrain" are there any other ways to do it simpler? I have heard around that Unity doesn't play well with caves or should I say holes being put into its terrain mesh. Any advice/help would be great.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

make mesh in blender?? .. dunno, hardly used unity's terrain, seemed crappy for my use cases ive ever had

3. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Just model it, this seems like more art question than a game engine question

4. Mauri

Mauri

DarkXess likes this.
  5. DarkXess

DarkXess

Your not getting the point mate, modeling isn't the problem - its using the model with Unity meshes which do not go well, often making things from bad to worse.

If you have done such, then ok - model in blender? then import to unity? then how to get around the restrictions and problems with the original Unity terrain mesh? :)

Em,... I honestly didn't think of Voxeland actually, I thought it was more of a terrain design tool for games etc, so how would one do this? maybe create the terrain, THEN use voxeland and create the caves, then remove voxeland once finished or? just wondering. Thanks :)

Edit: this is going to be a hand crafted world, not persistent - so the caves will be made in the position and stay in that same position, there will be no need for any asset once the caves have actually been made and are final. I would think that removing such asset or just leaving it in the package for future reference is better or what?!?

6. sicga123

sicga123

Have a look at AGFPro https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11780 but look at the Steam store as it is currently on sale at 80% off and cost 3 GBP with the Voxel sculpt addon for 4.50 GBP. It is possible to create caves etc with an addon. Once the map is made it can be exported from the software and imported into Unity (it was made using Unity). The Steam version gets updated more frequently. The developers also have Geovox which is similar but aimed more at AAA. The software takes some getting used to but it can be fun to use once you become familiar. I used to spend quite some time just raising hills and digging caves, it has layers so when the ground starts to raise up different texture layers appear. grass first then soil then rock.

DarkXess likes this.
  7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You don't remove the asset; the terrains do not work without it. Voxel terrain assets don't generate standard meshes any more than the Unity terrain system does. (That is, meshes are generated at runtime, they are not stored in the project.)

--Eric

DarkXess likes this.
  8. DarkXess

DarkXess

Something I had not heard of before, thanks for this - will give it a go right now and its a plus+ as its on sale :)

haha you know what they say mate? you learn something everyday, thank you :)

9. machupika

machupika