Search Unity

Feedback How demanding are animated maps? (Details in post)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Oir_the_tentacular, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Oir_the_tentacular

Oir_the_tentacular

Hello all!

I am creating an isometric game at full HD resolution with hand drawn maps. I draw the maps in photoshop and save them as a huge .png file. These hand drawn maps can be quite large. Some close in on 6000 pixels wide for example.

My maps are fully animated. The ground and walls twitch and move. Since I draw them as a single image in Photoshop, it is easiest for me to animate the map as a single entity, with each frame of the animation being a huge 6000 pixel wide image. I can see most of the animations being not much longer than 3 or 4 frame loops.

Since everything is hand drawn, I will not be using a lighting or shadowing system (I will simply draw the lighting/shadows as part of the map image). I expect that the bulk of the system load will be coming from the loading of sprites, most of which are very small (enemies and the player) as well as collision detection and the like.

Would this viably run on older devices? If not, are their viable solutions to this that do not significantly alter workflow?

Thank you very much for your time!