Search Unity

How cool is that? ;-)

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by jashan, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jashan

jashan

I may be the last to get it, but I guess UnityGUI is "kind of" cool ;-)

Where else could you do something like:

Code (csharp):
    2. if (GUILayout.Toggle(selectedGameType == GameType.Multiplayer, "[M]ultiplayer")
    3.     || Input.GetKeyDown("m")) {
    4.   selectedGameType = GameType.Multiplayer;
    5.   isValid = false;
    6. }
    This just rocks!!!

:)

Jashan

2. jashan

jashan

PS ... one must be careful, though... when doing this to dynamically change the GUI (i.e. you hit a key and some new areas pop up), it seems like the GUI system is having a problem with finding some references. I would assume this has to do with the multiple OnGUI calls during one frame (one for layout, one for "event-handling"... or maybe more).

My fix was to simply move those very specific cases back to the Update()-method (not very nice, but at least it works ;-) ).

... error is something like "Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing keyDown"...

Jashan

3. Talzor

Talzor

When doing that kind of "non" gui checks it's usually a good idea only to do them on the last call to the OnGUI i.e.
    Code (csharp):
    2. if (GUILayout.Toggle(selectedGameType == GameType.Multiplayer, "[M]ultiplayer")
    3.     || (Input.GetKeyDown("m")  Event.current = EventType.repaint)) {
    4.   selectedGameType = GameType.Multiplayer;
    5.   isValid = false;
    6. }

4. jashan

jashan

That looks like a cool idea, and interestingly, when I do add

Code (csharp):
    1.  Event.current.type == EventType.keyDown
    the original problem is fixed. When I check EventType.repaint, however, the key stroke is not recognized. I can fix that by changing Input.GetKeyDown to Input.GetKey - however, then, even when using EventType.repaint, I'm getting the original problem.

Now, what really confuses me: I have these buttons spread over a few functions because the GUI has various states, depending on the selections. Interestingly, while the problem occured only in one particular instance before, which can be fixed by adding a check to "EventType.keyDown", that same code messes everything up where it worked before by only checking "Input.GetKeyDown(...)".

Is there any "proper" way of doing this? I think keyboard shortcuts for buttons are a rather nice thing to add, but at the moment the way I'm doing this feels kind of hackish ;-)

Jashan

5. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Try using something like this:

if (Event.current.Equals (Event.KeyboardEvent ("[esc]"))) {
    Debug.Log ("ESC was pressed");
    }

Now, this method has some bugs in the 2.0.1 - but that's the "proper" way to do these kind of things

6. shaun

shaun

This method is not as cool, but it works (plus it still works if CAPS lock is on) :)
    Code (csharp):
    1. Testbln = GUILayout.Toggle(Testbln, "Im a toggle");
    2. if (Event.current.character.ToString().ToLower() == "m"  Event.current.type == EventType.keyUp) Testbln = !Testbln;
    Cheers
    Shaun

7. shaun

shaun

Is capitals not working one of the bugs? i.e.
    Code (csharp):
    1. if(Event.current.Equals(Event.KeyboardEvent("M")) || Event.current.Equals(Event.KeyboardEvent("m"))) Testbln=!Testbln;
    Using the above code, I never get the event if CAPS lock is on.

8. jashan

jashan

Hm... that...

Code (csharp):
    2. if (GUI.Button("[C]onfigure")
    3.     || Event.current.Equals(Event.KeyboardEvent("c"))) {
    4.     isConfigurationScreen = true;
    5. }
    ... doesn't work for me, the same code works smoothly with Input.GetKeyDown and checking against Event.current.type == EventType.keyDown. It's in an OnGUI() method.

@shaun: I would believe that this is "by design". Capital letters are referred to by shift (#), so it should probably be Event.KeyboardEvent("#m")... I haven't checked that, though, but the manual says it:

Scripting > Runtime Classes > Event > Event.KeyboardEvent

Jashan

9. shaun

shaun

Thanks Jashan... I was still in .ToString() mode, when it's a Keyboard event. doh!

10. nafonso

nafonso

Just how buggy is it? I can't get it to work anywhere. Is the bug in any way related with powerbook g4?

Regards,
    Afonso