Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How configure Color Lookup - URP

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Soncan, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Soncan

Soncan

I am using version 2019.3.0f6 with URP configuration.

I want to use the Color Lookup option of the post-process Volume, but I can't export or configure the extura correctly.

I get the following message:
    "Invalid lookup texture. It must be a non-sRGB 2D texture or render texture with the same size as set in the Universal Render Pipeline settings"

Texture setting (Image):
    upload_2020-1-31_18-28-13.png

How should I set up the texture? In the URP documentation there is nothing about how to configure or export a lookup texture.

Thank you very much!

thehen2 and kkrg001 like this.
  2. kkrg001

kkrg001

I have the same problem. Using post-processing successfully in a URP environment can be difficult and painful :/

3. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

So I can see that you have set the texture to 'Max Size'=32, which I guess you set based off the pipeline setting, but that 32 is meaning the height of the texture, not the width, so for example here the height 16:
    upload_2020-2-3_14-13-54.png

matches the setting in the pipeline setting:
    upload_2020-2-3_14-14-55.png

4. o1o101

o1o101

Was curious if LDR functions any differently in URP post vs PPV2, using the same LDR curve in the new post processing does not give me the same results as with PPV2, any way to match up the two / convert a previous set up?

5. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

If you are referring to the LDR option on the pipeline setting then yes, we do a more accurate path where we will tone-map from HDR > LDR then do colour corrections and other post processing effects. In builtin what was happening is that all post was done in LDR, meaning ton-mapping was done on an LDR image which is pointless, if you want a full LDR pipeline the option is to make sure HDR is disabled so you are rendering LDR before post begins.
    This choice was made so that a lot of post processing could be done in LDR for performance gains without loosing a lot of visual fidelity, and means you rarely have to do post in HDR unless you need to output an HDR image after post-processing.

arda_bpg and phil_lira like this.
  6. o1o101

o1o101

Thanks for the information, is there any performance benefit of a full LDR pipeline over the HDR > LDR? Is enabling HDR is extra costly on lower end while not using HDR color correction? Is there any reason someone would want to use use a full LDR setup?

Cheers

7. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Think of Full LDR as the lowest setting, here the big thing will be if you plan to support very low end devices that cannot support HDR, or have limited memory as an HDR buffer takes up much more space than an LDR buffer. If you are also doing a very stylised game you might not need HDR and might as well benefit from the gain in memory and compute, because some effects such as DOF and Motion blur happen before the HDR > LDR conversion still.
    The HDR > LDR workflow is great for doing PBR workflow while saving a lot of computational power when doing a lot of post processing.
    And finally if you know you are on high end platforms only or are wanting to have an HDR output after post(might be doing some custom rendering afterwards or your own additional post processing after Unitys) then use this path. Eventually when we add HDR screen output support then this will also be a valid path as you want to send the full HDR image to the monitor/device.

8. Soncan

Soncan

Thank you very much!

The problem was the post-processing configuration of the URP.

By setting up the URP PP correctly and simply removing the sRGB check from the texture, it works correctly.

Example:
    upload_2020-2-6_21-18-27.png

Have you been able to solve the problem?

arda_bpg and DaftPuzzler like this.
  9. caponeart

caponeart

I'm having an issue with this too. So on the left is with no LUT. Image on the right is a LUT that is pure original default LUT. Yet I get freaky colors? I'm expecting it to be the same as the left image?

upload_2020-6-10_17-33-48.png

My luts are 256x16 with sRGB disabled. My Lut size in my URP is set to 16 (low dynamic range). I have disabled HDR.

10. pXd-fs

pXd-fs

I suggest you follow this guide, import the amplify free pack and create your LUT based of the "color" LUT in the samples in there. Don't forget to set your LUT size back to 32 in the pipeline settings. Hope this helps.
    https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/183390/how-to-create-a-color-grading-lut-for-unity-urp

11. XRA

XRA

You probably have to flip your LUT texture vertically, URP should really provide a flag in the Color Lookup volume parameters for this.

12. migueltuliompg

migueltuliompg

Sorry to necro, but THIS! This solved all my problems, thanks!