Search Unity

How complicated would this be?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by guy123, Aug 10, 2012.

1. guy123

guy123

Hey all

Working in an Architectural visualization studio and we have been asked to produce an interactive fly-through of a development for a client. They want to the user to be able to control the camera and walk around at their will - it goes without saying that Unity would be the best platform for use in this!

I just wanted to ask how complicated it would be to create a simple scene with the building in (I come from a games art background so the 3D modeling/texturing is not an issue here) and have the user be able to use the arrow keys and keyboard to walk/look around.

The requirements would be as follows:

-User opens application on web browser.

-Splash screen showing name of development

-User is in 3D scene with buildings in front of them

-arrow keys move camera around, mouse moves user around

-Escape exits application.

Would probably only need a sunlight and a few point lights.

What do we think guys? complicated? Easy?

Thanks

2. dterbeest

dterbeest

Sounds basic enough..

i would change the controls into using the mouse to move the camera and the arrow keys to move the user. This way the camera can has more freedom to look around and you will not lose sight of the player so easily.

3. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

4. guy123

guy123

Whoops, I meant to say mouse moves the camera and keys move the user I promise! lol - Thanks guys

The project is quite a large exterior development, we are talking about 30 or so houses, how efficient is the instancing and LOD management in Unity?

5. Aurore

Aurore

I think unity handles LOD automatically, from what I remember of my old project it worked fine. But someone with more recent experience would probably help you better. How detailed are the models?

6. guy123

guy123

They aren't going to be mega, but there will be quite a few of them, another thing is that we will have a reasonable deal of foliage around the development, so my concern would be on minimizing overdraw and obviously the triangle count. if there is a good LOD system though this shouldn't be an issue.

I'm quite exited about this project, hopefully we can get it off the ground!

Thanks for the links and advice guys.

7. Aurore

Aurore

You should be ok, you will need to be careful when passing that over to the client as they might not have the system requirement to run it properly, even using the web player.