Search Unity

How come Unity Hub doesn't list all versions?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Carwashh, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Carwashh

Carwashh

Just needed to grab 2018.1.6 because that's what a project was using, and due to 2018.1.7 being the latest 1.6 doesn't show up in the hub to download and install.

Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to have the same list as the download archive page? The point of the hub (I thought) was to manage all (compatible versions of) Unity installs ... it can't do that if we have to then install some versions outside of the hub because they've been superseeded.

leni8ec and andywatts like this.
  2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. We didn't want to clutter the list with all versions so we focused on the latest few. However we are working on an integration with the web archive to support your use case. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

leni8ec and Carwashh like this.
  3. Carwashh

Carwashh

May I suggest adding an extra option down the left hand side.

- On my machine
    - Official Releases
    - Archived Releases
    - Beta Releases

4. dri_richard

dri_richard

This particularly affects the use of LTS builds, each of which is an official release, and yet they're not all shown.

5. madks13

madks13

By the way, is it normal that in my hub i don't see any Beta releases? I got all the installed, and the Official releases, but no Beta.

6. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @madks13 ,

Right now there aren't any beta release available from Unity. When version 2018.3 will be in beta it will be available in the Hub as well.

Cheers,

7. madks13

madks13

Hmm, that's weird. I got the Gravy Demo, it says it was made using 2018.2.0b9. This causes all kinds of crashes when closing the Editor. I was hoping being able to at least get the betas used in the samples so it doesn't burn crashing like that.

On another note, any estimations on 2018.3 ETA?

8. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Well, 2018.2 was released so it's no longer part of the beta program. We try to stay up to date with the latest versions of Unity. If you missed a version there's always the download archive. We are planning a closer integration with that portal so that installing other versions will be more streamlined in the Hub.

As for 2018.3 I can't say much right now. We are working hard on it. Stay tuned.

9. eelstork

eelstork

Apparently not being worked on. Sigh.

10. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @eelstork,

Actually a new link was added to the download archive so that the download and installation goes through the Hub. Simply click the "Unity Hub" button next to the version of Unity you choose to install and the Hub will open with a corresponding popup to choose additional download components. Please let us know if you encounter issues using this feature.

Best,

11. eelstork

eelstork

@Abraham-suji I actually appreciate that. Except the button doesn't appear unless the Hub is already open, which took me a while to figure.
    I'm loving the hub by the way; it's really a great tool for freelancers and more generally anybody working on several projects. Sorry I was just kind of in a bad mood that day, I guess.

12. dri_richard

dri_richard

That is a good addition, thanks.

How about the situation where a user tries to open a project, and the correct version isn't installed.
    This is very common with new team member. Now that the Hub exists, it would be great if we didn't have to tell people - some of whom are (for example) artists who only occasionally use Unity - to navigate the quite intimidating download archive.

13. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

No worries @eelstork. It's true that this feature isn't clearly displayed or explained. Normally, if you opened the Hub at least once before it will be launched when clicking the link. Are you saying you don't see the "Unity Hub" buttons at all when visiting the archive page?

@dri_richard We are actually working on a more streamlined solution where the user will be invited to download missing versions without having to leave the Hub. In the scenario you describe a new member would be prompted to install the missing editor version directly. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA for this feature but our goal is always to make your experience as smooth as possible.

Best,

14. eelstork

eelstork

Seems to be working now; can see dl buttons in archive even when hub is closed. Pretty sure that didn't work last time, where I had the hub installed with a couple of 'major versions' already downloaded, but couldn't see the buttons until I had the hub open on the side.
    Well, the main thing is that it works better now!

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  15. chatrat12

chatrat12

+1 For downloading from the archive. Perhaps if you click archive, you'll get 2 dropdowns. One to select major revision and the other for the minor revision. Similar to how Epic handles it.

upload_2019-2-11_14-14-47.png
    I like the highlighted versions, definitely keep those in tact :D

Conferno and dri_richard like this.
  16. Necronomicron

Necronomicron

How come the latest, 4 days old version still isn't in the Hub?

17. Carwashh

Carwashh

Try restarting your Hub, 2018.3.7f1 is the latest shown on my Hub.

18. Necronomicron

Necronomicron

Weird that it wasn't there when I started it and restarted it for the first time today. Maybe it requires some time to connect to servers or else...

19. cjaramillo

cjaramillo

Clicking on the UnityHub link didn't work for me. I had to do something like this from the command the line, so the UnityHub app to open in Ubuntu 18.04:

Code (Boo):
    1. PATH_TO_UnityHub $ ./UnityHub.AppImage unityhub://2018.3.11f1/5063218e4ab8

heitorzorah likes this.
  20. serenafugaro

serenafugaro

Hello.

I've got UnityHub 2.3.0 running on my Ubuntu 19.10 system and I'm trying to download Unity2019.3.4.f1 from https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive but the UnityHub button does not work. Any suggestion? I need this Editor version because that's what a project was using