Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

How Collaborate is supposed to managed when scene has changed ?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Kiupe, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi guys,

Just start testing Collaborate and so far it seems great - the UI is neat, easy to managed.

I was curious to know how Collaborate would managed modifications like removed object into the scene. So I created a scene with a cube and pushed it. Another guy of my team removed the cube and pushed it. In the mean time I added a script into the cube, tried to push, I had to pull before because changes has been made. At this moment Unity warned me that the scene has changed and asked me if I wanted to reload it or ignore it. To be honest I was a bit disappointed, because I was hopping Collaborate would at least explained me what have changed or maybe understand what have changed and try to merge. But in the end it just warn me and I have to accept modifications or not knowing what they are.

Is that normal ? Is there something planed to managed cases like that ?

Thanks

2. chechoggomez

chechoggomez

Unity Technologies

3. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi,

I did not see the "Launch external tool" and Unity did not warn me there was a conflict with the "red" icon in the Collaborate button. I just had a pop-up that warned me the scene has changed.

I will try to set-up UnityYAMLMerge - but I never succeeded to have it works with any sourcecontrol software so far. Why it's not configured by default with Collaborate ?

Thanks.

4. chechoggomez

chechoggomez

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Ok, what happened is that Unity automatically did a smart merge of the scene file with UnityYAMLMerge , this tool is already integrated in Collaborate (sorry I was not clear enough with this).

If you did exactly what you said :

"So I created a scene with a cube and pushed it. Another guy of my team removed the cube and pushed it. In the mean time I added a script into the cube, tried to push, I had to pull before because changes has been made."

then Unity should warn you with the "red" icon in the Collaborate button and a window to resolve conflicts should pop up.

But if you did something different e.g. not touching the cube object and then creating a sphere object, then you are doing a change without conflicts which can be merged automatically, in this case a window pops up saying that the scene has changed and asks you if want to reload it or ignore it.

So yeah, for this case that’s expected behavior for now. We use SmartMerge to merge scenes smartly but we want to do things like visual diff / show users what’s changed.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  5. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi,

I'm pretty sure Unity did not warn me but instead showed me that panel to let me choose between reload or ignore. I will try to make that exact same test and see what happens. I did that test in purpose, I wanted a conflict and see how Unity will deal with that.

Anyway, it's good to have a built-in tool and I can't wait to see what it will become.

Thanks.