Search Unity

Resolved How can one use IK to stick a foot to a particular location?

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by Kabinet13, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

I am messing around with basic two-bone IK and the animation rigging package and I noticed some unexpected behavior, The video I have attached shows me moving the hip bone of a rig, expecting the IK foot to react to it and try to stay pointed at the target. Unfortunately, the IK seems to be unaware that its world position has shifted and stays static. Is there a workaround for this? I would very much like for my character's foot to remain planted in one location.
    Video:

2. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

I have noticed too.This is just great, isn't? Now when a character transposes, animates or tweens to a new area the IK handles are at the original position. And it gets even better! When the scene has ten characters all the IK handles are in their original positions too. Ain't this a mess?
    I won't even post my Unity abominations with this Unity animation rigging.
    These Unity implementations look like they were done by ameture wanna be programmers. NFT(Not Fully Tested).
    Oh and the default character position in the model import is hanging crouch instead of the industry standard T or A pose?
    What are we Kung Fu masters or some shat?
    I wish you peace and success in your project but you are at a brick wall whether you know it or not. And you are not alone. I have been digging into this for a year and am totally addicted to stress. Most others that are having problems are fit to be tied too. It is a very bad and loose implementation.
    And as always if I am incorrect in any way then I will humbly submit myself to self crucifixion.
    Unity either tightens up this implementation, produces better documentation, fully tests their work or ban me out of here for I am not going away till they fix their crap work.

3. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

After reading a bit more on this forum, I found this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/constraint-ignored-when-moving-root-bone.1096627/ that seemed to solve the problem, adding a rig transform component to any bones that might move the ik affected ones will fix this problem, so moving the pelvis works now. This is still pretty unintuitive and weird.

swingingtom and Ward_L like this.