Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How can I use ray collide with terrain?

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by SlumberPenguin, Oct 16, 2023.

1. SlumberPenguin

SlumberPenguin

I put the terrain collider on subscene, it has a built-in terrain collider, I think it will be transfered to unity psysics's terrain. How do I use ray to detect terrain height? It seems that this version of raycastinput can't specify layers.

2. daniel-holz

daniel-holz

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, the built-in UnityEngine.TerrainCollider authoring component is not yet supported in Unity Physics baking when placed in a subscene.
    If you want to use the
    Unity.Physics.TerrainCollider
    collider type in your scene, which is based on a height field representation, you need to create it manually at the moment.
    Please refer to the Unity.Physics.TerrainCollider scripting API documentation, and specifically the
    Create
    function variants.

Once you have created a
    BlobAssetReference<Collider>
    using TerrainCollider.Create(), you can add it to a
    PhysicsCollider
    component that you add to an entity with the usual transformation components, e.g.,
    LocalTransform
    . The latter will allow you to place the created terrain patch in your scene.

You can find example code for programmatic creation of rigid bodies here.
    For a description of what distinguishes a dynamic rigid body from a static rigid body (which is likely what you would like to use to hold your terrain collider patch; or multiple patches via a compound collider), have a look at the section on data concepts in the Unity Physics package.