Search Unity

How can I use DirectInput Force Feedback in steering wheels?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Dreamwriter, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

I want to support more than just Logitech steering wheels (which have a Unity plugin); I want to support "pro" steering wheels like Fanatec's ClubSport and others, so I need full DirectInput ForceFeedback. It seems that Unity doesn't have direct support for that, is there a way to embed DirectInput calls into Unity or something? Any good plugins out there for it?

2. rifter

rifter

This was almost one year ago, had someone found a solution ?

3. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

My company is using Vehicle Physics Pro, which includes a simple DirectInput wrapper DLL, which we use for Force Feedback. It’s not ideal, but it works, we’ve used it on three different steering wheels from different manufacturers. I’ve also heard that the Logitech SDK on the AssetStore works for different wheels since it also acts as a DirectInput wrapper, though there was some problem with that that caused VPP to use something else.

4. MathewHI

MathewHI

Interestingly I went saw on the Fanatec website that they have an SDK but state that you do not have to use it to
    program for their wheels, only be able to use DirectInput to control it. My question would be how do you implement DirectInput with Unity as DirectInput is c++ and Unity uses C#.

5. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

You create a native plug-in: https://www.alanzucconi.com/2015/10/11/how-to-write-native-plugins-for-unity/

HelenL and MathewHI like this.
  6. HelenL

HelenL