Search Unity

Question How can I store string in prefabs?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Metabeta, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Metabeta

Metabeta

Hello there! I'm trying to spawn "prefabs" and then rename - write information on these items. (In running)
    Firstly, I tried store in "script". I select item with raycast and try to get its "script". But I don't get "script". I found some similar question in searching. They say, İf you change one items value, it change other items value. Because they connect same "script". I didnt expect that. Can anybody knows how can I set info to "prefabs" separatly?

I hope I was able to explain myself.

2. Brathnann

Brathnann

Sorry, I have no clue what you are asking.

3. Metabeta

Metabeta

Lol. Okay let me say this way. I want to spawn many items and name them in the playing game. How can I do that. The name of each item will be different.

4. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

It's common to confuse the prefab with a gameObject created from it. Don't change the prefab while running. Common code looks like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public GameObject somePrefab;
    2. // don't change this
    4. void Start() {
    5.   GameObject g1 = Instantiate(somePrefab);
    6.   // g1 is a normal gameObject, change it any way you like:
    7.   g1.transform.name="horsie";

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Joe-Censored and Brathnann like this.
  5. Metabeta

Metabeta

Oh, I told my problem wrong again. But thanks this information is useful for my another problem. I searched for some more and I found ScriptableObject, exactly the solution I was looking for. I want to be able to add things such as life, stamina, name, surname to the created prefab. But while the game was running I couldn't understand creating and editing a copy of scriptableObject.

6. Brathnann

Brathnann

Note that scriptableObjects do not allow saving in builds. So if you plan to modify the data and try to save it back out in a build, it doesn't work.

7. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

ScriptbleObjects don't do anything prefabs don't. So you can use a prefab to do any ScriptabelObject tricks.. If you like how it works, you could turn it into a ScriptableObject (since making prefabs is easier than making SO's).

An SO is really just a prefab with a different icon that can't be Instantiated. But that's a nice thing if you have a big project. You don;t need to remember "OK, this prefab holds the data, and should never be used except for that".