Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How can I stop a 2D swinging rope?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Pietrofonix, Oct 14, 2023.

1. Pietrofonix

Pietrofonix

Hi guys, I made a 2D rope following this video:

Everything works fine except I can't stop the swinging of it when I move it. It's made by a parent with a static Rigidbody 2D and a Distance Joint 2D, while all the children have a Rigidbody 2D and a Hinge Joint 2D. I tried to activate the motor inside all Hinge Joints 2D and modify the speed and force of it, but it didn't work.

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

You're not describing what you want very well at all. Please be specific on what you mean by "Stop a 2D swinging rope". Stop it implies instantly which makes no sense for a rope with gravity. Slow it down over time? Please be specific. If you want to slow over time then use the linear/drag options you have as you normally would any Rigidbody2D.

What would motors do here? I don't understand.

3. Pietrofonix

Pietrofonix

Yes I want to slow it down over time. Do I have to increase the linear/drag options of all children? Would this allow me to decide how fast the rope has to stop?

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

There's no rule on how to do it. Do a few, do all of them but if you want it to slow down then you need something to damp the momentum; this is what drag is. Either than or damp it yourself by reducing the speed.

In the end, no need to ask, just try it, it takes seconds to try. :)

Not sure what you mean by this. It'll slow down over time, it won't tell you it'll be at rest is 6 seconds for example. The rope is a system and it'll get far too complex to calculate such things easily. It'll be a case of try and see if you get the correct results.