Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question How can I speed up assembly loading, given the info in this thread?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JesseSTG, Jul 27, 2020.

1. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

Like many other Unity users, I too am having severe performance problems with the editor. Whenever I enter Play Mode or change my code (both of which happen frequently), I am left hanging for a minute or more at a time until it finishes.

A run of the Editor Iteration Profiler (whose output I've attached) tells me that the bottleneck is reloading assemblies. This cost occurs when I enter Play Mode or when I make any changes to a script. Look at this screenshot:

Note the
    UpdateAllMenus
    entry. Whatever's going on in here is definitely important, but the trail goes cold because the duration of its child elements don't all add up.

Other important facts:
    • I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 and Unity 2020.1.0f1.
    • My CPU is an Intel Core i7-4810MQ running at 2.8GHz.
    • I have 32GB of RAM.
    • Both my Unity installation and my project are on an SSD.
    • I've attached the list of script files and assembly definitions in my project, except for UPM packages. (I use asmdefs pretty liberally.)
    My question is this: What can I do to speed up assembly reloading time, given this information?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020