Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I represent different biomes on a Terrain object?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snubber, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Snubber

Snubber

Hello! I am using the Unity Terrain object in my procedurally generated terrain. I want to have different biomes on my terrain (i.e desert, forest, ocean, etc.) I want to use different textures for the different biomes but if you see in the documentation for TerrainLayers (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TerrainLayer.html) at the bottom it says that having more than 4 Terrain Layers on a Terrain object will impact performance (for URP which I am using). My understanding is that a Terrain Layer is needed for each texture you want to use on the terrain. It seems odd to be limited to 4 textures, especially because I'd like each biome to have 4 textures on it's own at least!

My terrain is procedurally generated so I am breaking it into chunks. So I could restrict each chunk to be one biome. But there would be a really gross contrast between biomes, with no gradual shift between them.

Is there a better way to solve this problem?

If I do have to have harsh contrasts between biomes I was thinking maybe I could have the world consist of hexagons which could produce a cool looking result. But the issue with that is that the Terrain objects seem to need to be a square mesh (please tell me if I'm wrong).

I would love to use Unity's terrain system because of all of it's awesome features.

2. xald

xald

It is not limited to 4, it is just recommended. From my own experience, slightly exceeding that limit doesn't hurt performance. My suggestion would be this;
    I am assuming you have completely 4 different layers on each terrain part (or chunk)
    Use 5 layers on each part, the parts own 4 layers + a layer of a neighbor terrain, for smooth transition or blending.
    IMO this is a way more easy and simple solution than using hexagon tiling.