Search Unity

How Can I Remotely Activate Unity/Unity Hub License on Workstations?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by POBUnity, Jun 10, 2019.

1. POBUnity

POBUnity

In the past I was provided a pdf (see attached) that contained a command line argument to activate Unity on client workstations. The command used to work but now with us needing to install unity hub it isn't working properly. I can take the serial number and manually activate, but that's not productive given my 100+ workstations that need the software activated. Is there some documentation or updated method for remotely activating unity?

Old activation command:
    “C:\ProgramFiles\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe”-quit-batchmode -serial<serial#>-username<accountusername> -password <password>

Attached Files:

2. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @POBUnity ,
    This command should not have been touch by the Hub, although, with more understanding of your workflow, I may be able to provide some info to help.

Unity Editor installed using the Hub goes under `C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\<Unity Version>\Editor` by default.
    Your command indicates the Editor is at path `C:\ProgramFiles\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe` which is not installed using the Hub. The command will activate the license using that Editor, following that Editor's version.

As for the Hub, the current public version (2.0.1) does not support CLI as of yet, but we are working on it.
    Hope this helps

3. POBUnity

POBUnity

@joeksy

Sorry I have not re-installed unity for ~two years. In the past our workflow was the following:
    1) Deploy image with Unity pre-installed (but deactivated)
    2) Run command (first post) to activate

This year I downloaded the latest version of Unity (2019.1.5f1) and repeated steps 1-2 from above. The software did not activate and instead presents the error of "To use Unity, you must have an active license. Please download the Unity Hub and activate your license." I downloaded Unity hub as directed but I am not sure how I activate my machines now. Because there is presently no CLI, can I activate on my image before I capture?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  4. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Did you try having an image with the hub installed already and the license activated with your serial number before copying the same image to the different machines.

5. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

In your case, I believe you don't need to use Hub to activate the license.
    the Hub offers the UI to activate license, but your command is still valid.
    I would suggest to run that command directly in one of the image and see what it returns as error