Search Unity

How can I publish my game in Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigLouis1971, Dec 18, 2016.

1. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

I have no game yet, but I guess that it won't hurt anybody to ask some questions first. I know that Unity will publish to Xbox One platform, but what I'm supposed to do with the output? How exactly I'm supposed to upload it to Xbox Live and publish it so people can buy it from the market? Thanks in advance.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You need to talk to Microsoft.

Aiursrage2k and Ryiah like this.
  3. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

OK, thanks for your answer. I guess that I'll need to program at least a demo so I have something tto test and then contact Microsoft.

4. N1warhead

N1warhead

Apply for the Xbox ID program.... Then follow their instructions, we can't really discuss legally what all is required, the only thing I can legally tell you (as it was before signing an NDA, and is public knowledge), is that you need to be a legit business or they won't even look at you... All you need is a DBA (Doing Business As) in the United States at least. Just something that can show that you are legit. If you're not legit, either don't target them or start getting a business ready.

I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice. But at the time I applied for it, that was all that was needed.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

I heard about DBA before despite that I'm a noob and never published a game. They are fairly easy to get. I'll get the DBA and build a test GAIA world. Then add a standard UFPS player so I can walk through the virtual world and try to upload it to my Xbox One following Microsoft's instructions. I'll post what I learn from this as soon as I have something interesting to post. Thanks for your help!

6. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

I almost forgot, may I ask if you ever published any games?

7. iamthwee

iamthwee

I had the same question a few months ago - but mine was for personal use as opposed to selling. In short forget it, you won't get a developer ID unless you got some clout behind you and a proven track record.

Stick to making PC/mac/mobile games. If those become successful you got a chance with xbox.

8. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

So basically I need to be a professional indie developer and have at least a small team? Hmmm, sounds very unfortunate. I guess that I won't get past daydreaming about this then!

9. iamthwee

iamthwee

Peter77 likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

I don't know how much further we're allowed to go with this discussion due to NDAs but I want to point out that different console manufacturers have different degrees of difficulty for becoming a developer.

Instead of choosing your desired development platform based on personal preferences you should be choosing it based on the one you were able to receive a license for.

I've linked all three major console manufacturers below for anyone reading the thread. Try them all. You might be surprised.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/id
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/develop/
    https://developer.nintendo.com/

theANMATOR2b and Ostwind like this.
  11. N1warhead

N1warhead

Don't just throw some random half-assed demo.. If you want them to hopefully accept it, you have to actually put some work into it. I could only imagine how many junk games they receive on a daily.

No I haven't published with them, I don't believe legally I can say how far in the process I am, lets just say I'm at the last step if I decide to submit something, I refuse to submit until I have a game that's worthy to submit.

Xbox and other consoles have a right to be picky. Look at the original Xbox Arcade. So many junk games on it, now they are picky about picking and choosing. Wish all markets were like that, that way it's genuinely good games that go through a judge of peers before being accepted, granted the people could be biased against a certain game, but you get what I mean. A set of rules of quality standards.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I think they want to try and prevent it from turning into another xblig

13. MV10

MV10

Back when MS claimed they'd let anybody build via ID, I applied. We even had a real company at the time (my wife was building websites and I had some in-progress XNA games which I abandoned when the end of XNA was announced). Never heard a peep in response from MS.

And yet garbage like this makes it?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/soda-drinker-pro/bs3c23b3zsdd

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. Ostwind

Ostwind

Authors LinkedIn says "He is also known for creating the first FPS (first person Soda drinking simulation) Soda Drinker Pro which has hundreds of thousands of players worldwide and has been featured on CNN, Mashable, Game Informer, Kotaku, Wall Street Journal and hundreds of other media outlets and has is enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of soda simulation enthusiasts worldwide."

Along with the bad reviews it also has a lot of positive ones in various stores (botted or not) and with all the publicity on top of them you can get almost anywhere :)

15. MV10

MV10

Yeah, I know... still terrible. There are some other bad ones out there, too, that was just the first that came to mind. They know it's awful, too ... you can't actually search for it in the Microsoft store, I had to find that link from the Major Nelson announcement two years ago. :D

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

Searching from Microsoft.com worked for me. Did you search from a different base URL?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/result.aspx?q=soda+drinker+pro&form=MSHOME

17. MV10

MV10