Search Unity

How can i prevent ragdolls from stretching and spazzing out?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Nanako, May 26, 2015.

1. Nanako

Nanako

I've made a ragdoll teddybear. I used the ragdoll wizard a little initially to see how it works, but it wouldn't take an armature with only 7 bones, so i ultimately made this myself, with colliders, rigidbodies, and character joints, on each part.

As long as i move this little guy around slowly, and don't get him caught on things, he's fine;

But if i move him too fast, or swing him around in a way that part (not all) of him hits an object, bad things happen.

My best guess at what's happening here, is that high forces are sending the limb rigidbodies flying, and they get caught on something in the scene, preventing them from coming back.

But i don't understand HOW this can happen. The character joints have a breakforce set to infinity, so surely that should prevent them from going any distance from their starting point, no matter how much force they're under?

The right leg in this case flew about 100m and got stuck behind a little hill in the distance.

Probably relevant, here's the full inspector readout for that right leg (most of these values are just defaults)

2. Robert-HGG

Robert-HGG

I am struggling with the same issue for days. I've tried everything and there is no fix other than limiting ragdoll speed!

Ragdolls are broken and extremely unstable in Unity 5.

3. Nanako

Nanako

I've found a solution which seems to work perfectly now. Enable projection on the character joints.

default settings just magically made the problem go away.

4. MaiJingNan

MaiJingNan

thanks Nanako,your help work for me

5. wesleywh

wesleywh

Tried this and it worked like a charm for me. Thanks for the post!

6. sdclark79

sdclark79

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is a collision issue. I've had a similar issue with ragdolls, and the issue ended up being resolved by working out layer collisions in Edit->Project Settings->Physics

cokelekdeniz likes this.
  7. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

None of these works in high speed collision impact, setting max depentration velocity helps, but it would cause some other issues, such as ignore collision impact.

8. Plystire

Plystire

Ragdolls don't normally behave the best when paired with high velocity.

SparrowGS likes this.
  9. HOEB

HOEB

Thanks Nanako. It worked fine for me.

10. Jasmin1347

Jasmin1347

Thanks Nanako. It working fine.:)

11. TheGameLearner

TheGameLearner

Thanks @nanako.693001, I was able to use your enabling option.... saved me tons of work.

12. NathanJSmith

NathanJSmith

TheGameLearner likes this.
  13. joeyether40

joeyether40

How do you enable character joints . I am also having this stretching issue with my character

14. Wothanar

Wothanar

thank you so much it worked for me

15. joeyether40

joeyether40

How did you get this to work? I do not see where to enable projection

16. TheGameLearner

TheGameLearner

titch_stewart likes this.
  17. joeyether40

joeyether40

i was using Configurable joints and that joint did not have that setting. I switched to character joint and used that and now no stretching ty

18. Hoorza

Hoorza

You are a legend. Works like a charm. So far. Need to test the collisions now. Cheerio

19. Alguasil

Alguasil

Uou, that is what I was looking for so long... Thank you very much!

20. mjc33

mjc33

5 years later and @Nanako solution still works great with the 2020 alpha, I was having issues where unity was crashing because my ragdoll was flying out of bounds/at too high velocities due to spaghettification glitches, this fully fixed it

21. alenushkamoscow

alenushkamoscow

Works for me in 2019.3.7f1) Thank you very much!

22. Short_Barrel_Works

Short_Barrel_Works

@Nanako solution worked like a charm, but needs a litlle bit tweaking for my purpose

However, In my case streching still occured a little bit, althought it isn't as bad as before.
    so, if you really-really need to eliminate streching at all cost, don't forget to set the Projection Distance to 0.01 or lower.

That's how i deal with my streched ragdoll's neck

23. Luteranos

Luteranos

@Nanako thanks man, some days later I have found your solution. So simple and the still the best aproach.

24. azeem_ehsan

azeem_ehsan

Brother This Solution Works the Best at High Speed in 2022. And Bundle of thanks to you .. INSHALAH.. May Allah Bless you with Success..

25. MorganYT

MorganYT

I set defaultSolverIterations and defaultSolverVelocityIterations to 30 and it helped at high speeds. But the question remains is it optimized?... EDIT: it helped but not completely.

26. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Nothing seems to be working and when the ragdoll arm stretches the entire chain starts flipping out. I have tried all suggestions in this thread. Even using character joints still results in ragdoll flipping out when the arm is stretched slightly. Is there any solution?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  27. eliteforcevn

eliteforcevn

thanks work perfect

28. Cloudwalker_

Cloudwalker_

Physx is pretty stable in simulation. If you're having joint stretch then you're applying way too much force to the joints. Projection is not the solution.

lacas8282 likes this.
  29. unity_A71C7D7460C20CAEA54C

unity_A71C7D7460C20CAEA54C

Thanks nanako works not perfectly but something is better than nothing

30. unity_A71C7D7460C20CAEA54C

unity_A71C7D7460C20CAEA54C

31. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

This does not apply to my application, and you give no solution. Simply asking user not to stretch the ragdoll is not a viable solution and does not answer the question. Physx is good but "stable in simulation" is pretty vague.

Thanks, I read that article the very first day I noticed the issue. Nothing mentioned in the document solves the joint singularity infinite force issues unfortunately.

Only solution I can find is to use linear functions to project the target coordinates and limit the radius, which is working but is not ideal and CPU intensive!

--

P.S. Please don't lock this thread because of some disagreements. ragdoll stretching glitch in Unity seems to be a ongoing issue and more discussion/solutions are needed.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023