Search Unity

How can I preserve a bouncing ball's velocity?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by gameangel147, Jun 6, 2018.

1. gameangel147

gameangel147

My brickbreaker game has a ball and an ability that summons apples to act as extra balls. I gave the ball a circle collider and the apples a polygon collider so that they can rotate as they bounce. Unfortunately they are losing velocity when they collide at a wrong angle or with each other or with the ball.

With the ball, I only set the velocity when launched and left it at that, as I didn't need to preserve the velocity. I've thought about using "this.rigidbody2D.velcoity.x" and so on to keep the values at what I set them to but it's not working.

Is there a command or some way to keep their velocity constant?

2. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

In the physics settings or the physics material there's a value for this called bounciness or something, is it set to max?

gameangel147 likes this.
  3. jbaumer6

jbaumer6

If you are grabbing the velocity from an Update() method, you are going to continually get a new velocity. You'll want to use a bool flag to take a snapshot of the objects velocity where you want it, then apply that value in an Update() method until you don't want it anymore.

gameangel147 likes this.
  4. gameangel147

gameangel147

It's not. I kept it at just the right amount so that it wouldn't go too fast. Is there a way to increase bounciness in a script?

Alright, I was just wondering if there was a specific command to deal with that, but that sounds like a simple enough alternative. Since it's an ability, I can just adjust the velocity for the ability's duration.

Thank you guys!